RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Akron Aeros Thread

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I went to the game today expecting to get a look at Nick Johnson, so at least I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Weglarz in the lineup (he wasn't even listed on the roster they hand out at the game). He looked pretty good for his first game back, with a walk and a 2-run single yanked into right.

The bottom half of Akron's lineup is dreadful. Even with 5 hits amongst them today, they were almost entirely dinks and weak rollers. Bellows got a single on a soft bounce off the back of the mound and then failed on two bunt attempts (one a force-out and the next a pop-up).

I've never really been a TJ McFarland fan, but he looked really good today, at least for awhile. He faced the minimum through 5 (one single, erased on a double-play), but when he lost it, he lost it quickly and completely. Still, a much better way to spend the afternoon than trying to stomach watching the Tribe "offense" again.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:I went to the game today expecting to get a look at Nick Johnson, so at least I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Weglarz in the lineup (he wasn't even listed on the roster they hand out at the game). He looked pretty good for his first game back, with a walk and a 2-run single yanked into right.

The bottom half of Akron's lineup is dreadful. Even with 5 hits amongst them today, they were almost entirely dinks and weak rollers. Bellows got a single on a soft bounce off the back of the mound and then failed on two bunt attempts (one a force-out and the next a pop-up).

I've never really been a TJ McFarland fan, but he looked really good today, at least for awhile. He faced the minimum through 5 (one single, erased on a double-play), but when he lost it, he lost it quickly and completely. Still, a much better way to spend the afternoon than trying to stomach watching the Tribe "offense" again.

How'd Wegz look moving in the OF? Or was he not really forced to move much?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:21 pm

At least it's only the bottom half of the Aeros' lineup that's dreadful now.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Hermie13 wrote:How'd Wegz look moving in the OF? Or was he not really forced to move much?

He looked fine for what he had to do, but the only three balls hit his way were all routine fly-outs from what I remember.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 am

What has happened to Joe Gardner? Someone blogged that his "fastball is a thing of beauty", probably in fit of hyperbole. Not sure who it is beautiful to but not to anyone in the Indians organization until he can throw it for strikes. Right now, he is pretty much a one pitch and that pitch is not very good. He is probably the biggest performance disappointment in the organization. With all the pitching depth, he looks bound for the pen in middle relief unless he can turn it around. :s_sad
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:33 am

indianinkslinger wrote:What has happened to Joe Gardner? Someone blogged that his "fastball is a thing of beauty", probably in fit of hyperbole. Not sure who it is beautiful to but not to anyone in the Indians organization until he can throw it for strikes. Right now, he is pretty much a one pitch and that pitch is not very good. He is probably the biggest performance disappointment in the organization. With all the pitching depth, he looks bound for the pen in middle relief unless he can turn it around. :s_sad

That jump to AA exposes a lot of players, hopefully he can adjust if not then he is still at worst ML baseball fodder as a reliever
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:25 am

Like that offense with Weglarz, Chen, McBride and Mills its a nice range of prospect life. Even though Mills is down, if he puts up a good season, he imediately has to jump back on the prospect map to some degree. McBride slowly looking like he might hit the most HR's this year in the system. Chen having a very nice quiet year. Weglarz, he is not injured should be in Columbus very very soon.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 am

criznit2009 wrote:Like that offense with Weglarz, Chen, McBride and Mills its a nice range of prospect life. Even though Mills is down, if he puts up a good season, he imediately has to jump back on the prospect map to some degree. McBride slowly looking like he might hit the most HR's this year in the system. Chen having a very nice quiet year. Weglarz, he is not injured should be in Columbus very very soon.

Chen and Weglarz are the only ones that I view as true prospects. Mills and McBride on the other hand, are just as much of prospects as Travis Buck or Jordan Brown. I know it may seem as a diss, but at their age they are dangerously close to AAAA players.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:20 am

Yeah, even if Mills bounces back and has a solid to very good year this year, not sure it brings his prospect value up much. McBride is already pretty much considered a non-prospect among the industry. Chen and Weglarz are interesting guys because of age and the bat, so we will see.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:28 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Like that offense with Weglarz, Chen, McBride and Mills its a nice range of prospect life. Even though Mills is down, if he puts up a good season, he imediately has to jump back on the prospect map to some degree. McBride slowly looking like he might hit the most HR's this year in the system. Chen having a very nice quiet year. Weglarz, he is not injured should be in Columbus very very soon.

Chen and Weglarz are the only ones that I view as true prospects. Mills and McBride on the other hand, are just as much of prospects as Travis Buck or Jordan Brown. I know it may seem as a diss, but at their age they are dangerously close to AAAA players.

That was sort of my point,about the range of prospect life... Didnt sday it right though, You have
Mills once a top prospect - his stock all but gone
McBride - a non propsect but could end up with 30 HR this yr. Once a top guy
Chen - Came from obsurity to become a top guy currently
Weglarz - consistently a top guy but this year will be very telling of this oft-inured top prosepet.

Makes for an interesting line up to watch IMO.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:03 am

criznit2009 wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:

That was sort of my point,about the range of prospect life... Didnt sday it right though, You have
Mills once a top prospect - his stock all but gone
McBride - a non propsect but could end up with 30 HR this yr. Once a top guy
Chen - Came from obsurity to become a top guy currently
Weglarz - consistently a top guy but this year will be very telling of this oft-inured top prosepet.

Makes for an interesting line up to watch IMO.

I may be the only one, but I find that more depressing than I do interesting. Hopefully this isn't going too off topic of the Akron Aeros, but the Tribe has soooo many players in the minors who are not even prospects anymore, or are getting darn close to rolling over the hill and becoming AAAA players. I really wish that I could combine Jason Donald, Valbuena, McBride, Mills, Goedert, Huffman, and Head into one super prospect.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Chip Davis » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Many times these minor league players are subject to talented systems, personality conflicts, and injuries. Take McBride for example. He was a highly ranked catching prospect with power potential. After his injury and subsequent removal from catching he is without a position and was blocked by guys like Brown and Hodges. It is obvious to me that the organization does not think as highly of McBride as I do. I'd argue that he has more power than anyone in their minor league system and I would have a legitimate argument looking at his numbers. They are professionals and see him much more than I do, but that doesn't keep me from questioning and conversing about situations like McBride's. I feel bad for guys like McBride, Goedert, and others who might have a better chance in another organization, but then again I don't know that either.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:14 pm

I suppose it's unfortunate for guys like McBride and Goedert that they don't have the chance in this system they'd have in others, but I'm happier that the Indians have the sort of system where such one dimensional players are a low priority. You have to be able to play at least adequate defense or have power and great on-base skills to be a major leaguer. No matter what organization these guys are in, they just don't have those tools.

There are a lot of guys like McBride and Goedert making their living as AAAA players, and most teams are signing them as minor league free agents just to fill out their AAA rosters and maybe strike gold. I certainly prefer the younger roster full of legit prospects that the Indians have in Columbus. Basically, what we're seeing here is that even Cleveland's AAAA guys are younger, homegrown players, and maybe that increases the odds that they still strike gold with one of them.

I can see the argument for McBride having the most power if you're simply looking at the home run stat, but having seen him and Weglarz play quite a bit, I don't think he's in Weglarz's neighborhood for raw power. If McBride could still catch, it wouldn't surprise me if he was a useful major leaguer (a better version of Chris Gimenez), but we have to assume that the reasons they haven't moved him back behind the plate are pretty convincing. Unfortunately, he's shown absolutely zero progress at adapting to another position, and I can't see him putting up the BA or OBP to cut it as anything but a catcher in the majors.
Last edited by Pork Chop Pough on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Many times these minor league players are subject to talented systems, personality conflicts, and injuries. Take McBride for example. He was a highly ranked catching prospect with power potential. After his injury and subsequent removal from catching he is without a position and was blocked by guys like Brown and Hodges. It is obvious to me that the organization does not think as highly of McBride as I do. I'd argue that he has more power than anyone in their minor league system and I would have a legitimate argument looking at his numbers. They are professionals and see him much more than I do, but that doesn't keep me from questioning and conversing about situations like McBride's. I feel bad for guys like McBride, Goedert, and others who might have a better chance in another organization, but then again I don't know that either.

McBride would have issues anywhere because he has a horrible OBP and never takes a walk, he was never a top five spec even, so when people talk him up as a highly ranked spec it is never quite true
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chip Davis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Didn't McBride get move up to Columbus at the end of last year and do very well, or am I mistaken? Looking at his stats this year he is taking more walks than in the past and slugging over 500. The guy has 3 singles all year with 11 homers and something like 15 doubles, he's an extra base machine. I don't know if he can do enough to recoup his career with the Indians and I find that unfortunate for him.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Didn't McBride get move up to Columbus at the end of last year and do very well, or am I mistaken? Looking at his stats this year he is taking more walks than in the past and slugging over 500. The guy has 3 singles all year with 11 homers and something like 15 doubles, he's an extra base machine. I don't know if he can do enough to recoup his career with the Indians and I find that unfortunate for him.

No he struggled in Columbus last year. 296 OBP, 716 OPS
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Didn't McBride get move up to Columbus at the end of last year and do very well, or am I mistaken? Looking at his stats this year he is taking more walks than in the past and slugging over 500. The guy has 3 singles all year with 11 homers and something like 15 doubles, he's an extra base machine. I don't know if he can do enough to recoup his career with the Indians and I find that unfortunate for him.

Here's his minor league stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=mcbrid001mat

To answer your question, he did play 31 games in Columbus last year, batting .269/.296/.420 4 HR 11 RBI.

Played 3 games in RF (with 2 errors, yikes)
13 games in LF (0 errors)
11 games at 1st base (2 errors)
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 am

Matt McBride is the classic "middle of the road" nothing special Mil'er. Hia problem is that he doesn't have a "weapon".. i.e. He hits for some power.. but not a lot.. he hits for average.. but not a +.300 hitter.. he plays good defense, but not gold glove caliber, he's not adept at stealing bases, but isn't a base path clogger.. he has some versatility but only as a back C would you consider that to be special (OF, 1B, C ).. If he were at the ML level.. he'd be likely to post a three slash line of .255/.325/.400. If given 550 AB's.. he'd have about 40 XBH's including 10 homers and 35 doubles.. He's a "meh" prospect that's getting a bit older. He'd be the proverbial PTBNL as a throw in in a trade.. The minors are packed with guys like this. He's organizational filler, at this point in his career. He has about six guys in front of him that prevent him from being considered for a promotion to the ML's. He should "earn" a cuppa coffee in September.. if he can catch lightening in a bottle, he could advance, but nothing about his performance or make up says ML'er...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:17 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Matt McBride is the classic "middle of the road" nothing special Mil'er. Hia problem is that he doesn't have a "weapon".. i.e. He hits for some power.. but not a lot.. he hits for average.. but not a +.300 hitter.. he plays good defense, but not gold glove caliber, he's not adept at stealing bases, but isn't a base path clogger.. he has some versatility but only as a back C would you consider that to be special (OF, 1B, C ).. If he were at the ML level.. he'd be likely to post a three slash line of .255/.325/.400. If given 550 AB's.. he'd have about 40 XBH's including 10 homers and 35 doubles.. He's a "meh" prospect that's getting a bit older. He'd be the proverbial PTBNL as a throw in in a trade.. The minors are packed with guys like this. He's organizational filler, at this point in his career. He has about six guys in front of him that prevent him from being considered for a promotion to the ML's. He should "earn" a cuppa coffee in September.. if he can catch lightening in a bottle, he could advance, but nothing about his performance or make up says ML'er...

I think he hits for a lot of power and if he could hit .255 in the bigs he would certainly have more than 10 homers, I'd guess closer to 25. His power is his strength and the only thing that makes him an above average prospect IMHO. The only other players in the Indians minors that has his power is Goedert and Weglarz who would be the less of spec if he didn't take a buttload of walks.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Aeros game tonight:

De La Cruz starting, Hafner on rehab assignment, Jason Donald will hopefully be getting time at 3B, add in Chun Chen and Nick Weglarz, give me some Adam Miller in relief and you'll definitely have me looking at the box score.

Heck, if you add Hafner, Weglarz, Donald, and Chen to Columbus and that lineup might be more potent than Cleveland's:

DH Hafner
C Chen
1B Nick Johnson
2B Kipnis
SS Donald
3B Chiz
LF Weglarz
CF/RF Carrera
CF/RF Valbuena
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:26 pm

I saw that Donald was assigned on "Major League Rehab". However, last I checked, he was on the Clippers DL, not the Indians DL. Doesn't he have to be on the Indians DL to be eligible for MLR?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I think the Aeros site misunderstood the move. milb.com has it as an assignment from the Clippers' DL, not an MLR move.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Heck, if you add Hafner, Weglarz, Donald, and Chen to Columbus and that lineup might be more potent than Cleveland's:

DH Hafner
C Chen
1B Nick Johnson
2B Kipnis
SS Donald
3B Chiz
LF Weglarz
CF/RF Carrera
CF/RF Valbuena

Yeah, and if you start Barnes, that lineup should beat Cleveland seeing as how the Tribe can't buy a run off lefties.

But Valbuena in center field???? :shok:
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Any word on Hafner's rehab schedule? I'm going Thursday and wondering if I'll see him.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Any word on Hafner's rehab schedule? I'm going Thursday and wondering if I'll see him.

I think he is definitely there on Thursday. Friday would be iffy as that or Saturday will be the day he is activated if no setbacks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:Heck, if you add Hafner, Weglarz, Donald, and Chen to Columbus and that lineup might be more potent than Cleveland's:

DH Hafner
C Chen
1B Nick Johnson
2B Kipnis
SS Donald
3B Chiz
LF Weglarz
CF/RF Carrera
CF/RF Valbuena

Yeah, and if you start Barnes, that lineup should beat Cleveland seeing as how the Tribe can't buy a run off lefties.

Meh, Valbuena in right field isn't much better. Neither him or Carrera have the arm to play RF but my fictional scenario was offensive driven. :s_cool
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:35 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:

DH Hafner
C Chen
1B Nick Johnson
2B Kipnis
SS Donald
3B Chiz
LF Weglarz
CF/RF Carrera
CF/RF Valbuena

Meh, Valbuena in right field isn't much better. Neither him or Carrera have the arm to play RF but my fictional scenario was offensive driven. :s_cool

Weglarz has played RF this year. And if Valbuena has the arm to play ML 3B (he does) then he'd be fine in RF. I mean compared to Choo his arm stinks for RF...then again, can say that about most guys :good:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Is there an Akron starter who can throw two strikes in a row? De La Cruz, Gardner and even Adams are having serious control issues this season that don't seem to be getting any better. Adams is still having a fairly good season despite that, but I also seem to remember him getting knocked out really early a few times. We've pretty much covered what a disappointing season it's been for Gardner already, and it's a good thing that De La Cruz is death to lefties, because his on-going lack of command has him looking more and more like a future reliever.

I know Tony Arnold has been coaching in the system for a number of years, and Nick Hagadone looked great at Akron this season, but his other top three projects are regressing, and I'm left wondering what he's doing.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Is there an Akron starter who can throw two strikes in a row? De La Cruz, Gardner and even Adams are having serious control issues this season that don't seem to be getting any better. Adams is still having a fairly good season despite that, but I also seem to remember him getting knocked out really early a few times. We've pretty much covered what a disappointing season it's been for Gardner already, and it's a good thing that De La Cruz is death to lefties, because his on-going lack of command has him looking more and more like a future reliever.

I know Tony Arnold has been coaching in the system for a number of years, and Nick Hagadone looked great at Akron this season, but his other top three projects are regressing, and I'm left wondering what he's doing.

its not regression its facing better and more patient hitters in AA, the leap to AA separates the men from the boys more than any other leap in baseball outside of the leap to the majors
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 pm

Have you been watching Bull Durham to get your clichés down? It's a lot more than a bump in the talent or patience of the hitters. Adams? Maybe. Gardner and De La Cruz are nowhere near the command they had earlier in their careers, and De La Cruz hasn't made a bit of progress despite pitching in AA for over a year now.

Here's the difference in bb/k rate between the leagues this year:
Carolina: 3.03 bb/g. 7.51 k/g.
Eastern: 3.15 bb/g. 7.23 k/g.

...that barely begins to explain the massive swings in the rates of these guys. They aren't missing just off the corner, I've seen them pitch, and I guarantee you not even Carolina League batters would swing at many of these pitches.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Have you been watching Bull Durham to get your clichés down? It's a lot more than a bump in the talent or patience of the hitters. Adams? Maybe. Gardner and De La Cruz are nowhere near the command they had earlier in their careers, and De La Cruz hasn't made a bit of progress despite pitching in AA for over a year now.

Here's the difference in bb/k rate between the leagues this year:
Carolina: 3.03 bb/g. 7.51 k/g.
Eastern: 3.15 bb/g. 7.23 k/g.

...that barely begins to explain the massive swings in the rates of these guys. They aren't missing just off the corner, I've seen them pitch, and I guarantee you not even Carolina League batters would swing at many of these pitches.

never watched all of bull durham, using rates doesnt show the difference to me its the difference in talent level. The rates show an over all average of the same, but lets face it it's double AA hitters are a lot better. By the logic of the rates they should be the same, but we know they are not.Look at pitchers as they rise the K rates typically drop for a reason. Gardner is a prime example to me, his sinking pitch is something that highly inflated his K rate last year, now better hitters are laying off. De La I agree has a serious control issue, but a guy like Gardner to me is the classic guy who is facing a better level of competition
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 pm

jellis wrote:never watched all of bull durham

:shok:

sorry, just lost a little respect for you :s_tongue
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Its a chick flick, with some good baseball moments but its still a chick flick
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:33 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I have never met a girl that has liked that movie.....if you have, please send her my way :good:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:53 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

What is this... I don't even...

I like Doug Glanville's quote about that movie recently (when giving advice to new draftees) - "Every single thing about Bull Durham is accurate. Know that movie like you know your own face."
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Why isn't Hafner playing?
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Why isn't Hafner playing?

Was always scheduled for today to be an off day.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:03 pm

What an outing by Gardner....I think he heard you

8 IP, 0 R, 6H, 1BB, 3K
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I have never met a girl that has liked that movie.....if you have, please send her my way :good:

actually knew several in college like 8 to 10
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 pm

My wife loved Bull Durham but she's into poetry and Walt Whitman and I think she has a secret thing for Kevin Costner.

Over the last couple of weeks she has been commenting that Manny Acta needs to kill a chicken or something to take the curse off the Tribe bats. I don't believe in curses. I think their chakras are all screwed up and they need to start wearing garters under their uniform pants. Not that anything would work against Verlander.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:12 am

I can't resist heading to Akron tonight... Batman Bobble Belly... George "The Animal" Steele... and a BoSox prospect who's going down in flames. Stolmy Pimentel was a top 10 Boston prospect heading into the season, but he's now 0-8 with a 9.66 ERA... hasn't been able to retire more than 4 batters in 3 of his last 4 starts (9 ip, 22.00 ERA).
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 am

Boy, Tim Fedroff is really tearing the skin off the ball in Akron. Batting 350 for first in the league by a good 13 points, has a nice 23/31 walk to strikeout ratio. Even though he's a lefty he's batting 472 (!) against southpaws, that's just unheard of.

Is it time for him to be considered as a legit prospect? Or is his age (24), lack of power numbers, and apparently elite speed (7 sb, 5 cs) scaring people off? Are there any other red flags about him that aren't noticeable via a box score? I've never seen the guy in person but those are some crazy numbers.

Thoughts?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 am

entertheshoe wrote:Boy, Tim Fedroff is really tearing the skin off the ball in Akron. Batting 350 for first in the league by a good 13 points, has a nice 23/31 walk to strikeout ratio. Even though he's a lefty he's batting 472 (!) against southpaws, that's just unheard of.

Is it time for him to be considered as a legit prospect? Or is his age (24), lack of power numbers, and apparently elite speed (7 sb, 5 cs) scaring people off? Are there any other red flags about him that aren't noticeable via a box score? I've never seen the guy in person but those are some crazy numbers.

Thoughts?

he has always been legit, but just like stowell before last year, he had yet to preform to the level of his big signing bonus. He is finally comfortable it seems, which is not super unusual he might have been a bit slower since he was a sophomore when drafted
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 am

Even one of Fedroff's 2 outs last night was hit to the warning track in the opposite alley. I wouldn't be too concerned about his age... he has over 750 plate appearances at AA now, and should be playing at AAA... they just need to open some roster space for him there. Jerad Head obviously doesn't fit in their plans (nice stats or not), and they need to decide whether they have any use for Chad Huffman... I'd like to see them cleared out and play an outfield of Fedroff-Carrera-Weglarz in Columbus.

Corner outfielders who lack home run power will always have an extra hill to climb, but I don't think Fedroff has anything left to prove at AA. The improvement he's made in his contact rate this year is fantastic. He still needs to do better on the base paths, but that's nothing that should hold a player back a level.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:32 pm

McBride behind the plate to start the game tonight(?).. I know he did some catching in at least 1 other game this year. Why not try it? He is blocked by a ton of other project/prospects and if he could even be a semi capable back up catcher he really improves his stock with the team. Gonna keep my eye on this.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 pm

No Pomeranz (yet) to Akron, but Tyler Sturdevant has been promoted from Kinston to Akron.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:36 pm

TonyIPI wrote:No Pomeranz (yet) to Akron, but Tyler Sturdevant has been promoted from Kinston to Akron.

Right on queue!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Talk about a blast from the past, Beau Mills is starting to find a nice groove.

He's had 5 two-hit games in the last 8 and after batting .240 in May has raised his average to .300.

Is there still hope with this guy? Heck, he used to be a 1st rounder so there's talent somewhere in there.

If Nick Johnson is promoted soon as Tony expects, could Beau find himself as the starting 1st basemen in Columbus?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:02 am

entertheshoe wrote:Talk about a blast from the past, Beau Mills is starting to find a nice groove.

He's had 5 two-hit games in the last 8 and after batting .240 in May has raised his average to .300.

Is there still hope with this guy? Heck, he used to be a 1st rounder so there's talent somewhere in there.

If Nick Johnson is promoted soon as Tony expects, could Beau find himself as the starting 1st basemen in Columbus?

Weglarz needs a promotion first. Though if Donald is called up and Everett is released (along with Kearns), then maybe you can make room for him. I think he's better off at Akron right now though, as he can get more time in. If my scenario happens, you have him fighting for ABs with Buck/Duncan (whoever isn't on the Indians roster at that point), Goedert, Huffman, Weglarz and Head.

You can make a case for Fedroff, McBride and Mills being AAA ready, but there's just no space for them.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TAIWANSOCOOL » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:03 am

Where is Chen these days? is he hurt?
TAIWANSOCOOL
Undrafted Free Agent

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk