Winter Meetings Update: Youkilis targeted? Cabrera gone?
December 4, 2012
Here are some quick notes and news bits connected to the Indians coming out of Nashville in day two of the winter meetings today. I will have a much more thorough update on all of this and more in my Winter Meetings daily recap piece later this afternoon:
- Per Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Indians almost dealt shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera last night. Reportedly, they had the framework of a deal in place where they would receive a Major League pitcher and two high-end prospects in exchange for Cabrera, but the deal fell apart when they required a third prospect (fourth player) be included in the deal.
- Right-hander Roberto Hernandez is getting some interest around the league on a one year deal, and the Indians are one of the five teams looking at him.
- The Nationals signed right-hander Dan Haren for one year $13 million. He is a player the Indians had considerable interest in signing because of the short length of his deal.
- Right-handed pitcher Edwin Jackson is a pitcher the Indians have been connected to this offseason. He is someone that some in the organization really like because of his consistent performance and durability over his career.
- First baseman/third baseman Kevin Youkilis is looking for a two year deal and the Indians are considered to be one of his top suitors.
- Left-hander Scott Kazmir has multiple teams looking at him, and the Indians are expected to be one of those teams. He is a reclamation project but is garnering interest this offseason because he looks healthy pitching winter ball and could be a depth starting option for teams.
Follow Tony and the Indians Prospect Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.