Winter Meetings Update: Bay decision with Indians near?
December 5, 2012
Here are some quick notes and news bits connected to the Indians coming out of Nashville in day three of the winter meetings today. I will have a much more thorough update on all of this and more in my Winter Meetings daily recap piece later this afternoon:
- The rumor with regard to the Indians that continues to dominate the winter meetings is that they are looking at many potential deals for shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. This morning Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports mentioned that there is momentum building for a three or more team deal where the Indians would send Cabrera to the Diamondbacks and get young players in return. One of those young players could be right-hander Trevor Bauer whom MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince says the Indians have a framework of a deal in place for. The Cabrera talks are fluid, and could continue to gain momentum through the day before a deal potentially happens tonight or tomorrow.
- Outfielder Jason Bay is nearing a decision between the Indians and Mariners and it could be made today. He has a one year guaranteed deal on the table from the Indians. The Cubs are also said to be in the mix, but more on the periphery.
- The market for Shin-Soo Choo remains cool, but could start to heat up as the free agent market for outfielders continues to dry up. He is a player that could be dealt later this month when his market improves.
- The Indians have talked to the agent of Kevin Youkilis. This is not a surprise as they are expected to be one of his strongest suitors.
- With the loss of Shane Victorino to the Red Sox yesterday, there is a feeling in the industry the Indians will turn their focus to Nick Swisher and Cody Ross.
- According to John Heyman of CBS Sports, the Indians have been mentioned as a team that is looking into third baseman/first baseman Mark Reynolds.
Follow Tony and the Indians Prospect Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.
Also, I'm surprised as to how much Cabrera is worth in this market. The fact that the Indians are realistically looking for two premium pitching prospects is pretty amazing. Bauer and Holland even if we have to kick in something else would be a coup.
The Indians need to sign Ross, right now. I have a feeling they're going to spin their wheels on Swisher, get outbid, then try to fall back to Ross but Ross will have already received an offer he likes from someone else. They should focus on Ross and Youkilis.