Storylines: Red Sox shopping Peavy
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, July 8.
- Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweeted that the Cardinals and Red Sox are in active trade talks regarding Boston starter Jake Peavy. However, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch said that St. Louis is "looking for offense, not Peavy." According to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Atlanta has also had discussions with Boston about Peavy. Abraham also noted that the Red Sox have been in talks with several teams regarding their pitchers – not just Peavy.
- Ken Rosenthal wrote that he would not be surprised if Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki asked for a trade this offseason. Rosenthal cited Tulowitzki's desire to play for a winner and his frustrations over Colorado's inability to put together a playoff-caliber pitching staff.
- The Indians have placed Opening Day starter Justin Masterson on the 15-day disabled list with knee inflammation. Masterson has struggled mightily this season and has said that his knee issue has been bothering him since early in the season.
- Along with placing Masterson on the DL, Cleveland designated reliever Mark Lowe for assignment, sent outfielder Tyler Holt and Triple-A, and called up reliever Nick Hagadone and catcher Roberto Perez.
- Carlos Santana jammed his shoulder making a diving play at first base in Monday night's game. Santana was given the night off in the field on Tuesday, but Terry Francona has said that he will be fine.
Others News and Notes
- According to Rosenthal, the Nationals are actively seeking young shortstops in trades. Washington has tried to sign current shortstop Ian Desmond to a contract extension, but Desmond has rejected all offers to this point.
- Rosenthal also reported that Phillies lefty Cole Hamels can block a trade to 20 teams. The nine teams Philadelphia could trade Hamels to without his permission are the Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, Nationals, Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Padres.
- ESPN's Jayson Stark reported that Philadelphia starter Cliff Lee is scheduled to return from the disabled list after the All-Star break, and the Phillies are expected to actively shop him upon his return.
- Jim Bowden of ESPN.com speculated that the Orioles make the most sense as a landing spot for Phillies starter A.J. Burnett, with Pittsburgh and Cleveland also being possibilities.
- The Astros have released offseason free agent signee Jerome Williams.
- The Royals signed veteran lefty Joe Saunders to a Minor League deal and assigned him to Triple-A Omaha.
- Philadelphia agreed to a Minor League deal with 29-year-old lefty Jo-Jo Reyes.