RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Storylines: Phillies president and CEO to take leave of absence

Storylines: Phillies president and CEO to take leave of absence
Phillies president David Montgomery (left) with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. (right). (David M. Warren/Philly.com)
August 29, 2014
Share via: Share: Facebook Share: Twitter Share: Google Share: Pinterest Share: Print Share: Email

In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AndrewIBI.

Here are the stories from Thursday, Aug. 28. 

Top Stories:

  • The Phillies announced major organizational news, as general owner, president, and CEO David Montgomery will take a leave of absence while continuing his cancer treatment. Montgomery has been in charge of the club since 1997, overseeing the franchise's rise in the first decade of the new millennium. Taking over his duties in the meantime will be Hall of Fame former general manager Pat Gillick. The longtime executive has served as a senior advisor to the club since leaving active duty. In a statement, the team said that it "looks forward to [Montgomery] returning to his roles ... when he is fully recovered."

Tribe News:

 

  • The Indians announced that they traded left-hander Josh Outman to the Yankees in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Outman, who had been pitching at Triple-A Columbus for the Indians, will report to the Yankees' Major League roster. It's unclear whether the Yankees claimed Outman off waivers or if they struck a deal with Cleveland after Outman had already cleared revocable waivers.
     
  • On Thursday, Terry Francona noted that catcher Yan Gomes (mild concussion) is on pace to be activated on Friday. The Indians will likely run tests pregame on Friday before making a final decision.
     
  • The Indians will likely make a handful of additions on Monday, when Major League rosters expand from 25 players to a maximum of 40 players. With Triple-A Columbus heading to the International League playoffs, that could delay the promotion of some players Cleveland has in mind for September, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reported.

 

News and Notes:

  • Recent Red Sox signee Rusney Castillo obtained a work visa in surprisingly short order and is now clear to play, Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reported. It remains to be seen whether Boston will expose him to MLB action this year, but that is now a possibility with about a month left to go in the regular season.
     
  • The Yankees continue to move forward in a fairly high-stakes attempt to rehab Masahiro Tanaka for a return this year, with success meaning a top-end arm down the stretch and failure potentially meaning a delayed resort to surgery. As George A. King III reported for the New York Post, Tanaka continues to pass hurdles, with colleague Ken Davidson writing that yesterday's simulated game was a significant step towards a return.
     
  • Cole Hamels was just the latest Phillies player to publicly show up manager Ryne Sandberg in some manner, as Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com explained. Though the skipper downplayed the incident and said he has control of his clubhouse, Salisbury painted a picture of a tense situation in Philadelphia. As Andy Martino of the New York Daily News wrote, this on-field drama is playing out in the midst of broader leadership questions with the club. Martino said that the "fiercely loyal organization" is facing a difficult choice between that loyalty and the evident need for accountability.
     
  • As David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported, Braves left-hander Jonny Venters, who has spent the entire season rehabbing from his second Tommy John surgery, received the devastating news that he has re-torn his left ulnar collateral ligament and will require a third Tommy John surgery if he is to continue his career. Venters said that he will address reporters Friday to further comment on the unfortunate news. O'Brien listed Jose Rijo and Jason Isringhausen as a rare pair of examples of success following a third Tommy John operation.
     
  • Rockies first baseman Justin Morneau was claimed off revocable waivers by the Brewers, but pulled back by Colorado when the sides could not reach a deal, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported. An unknown offer from Milwaukee was apparently insufficient to pry Morneau free.
     
  • It remains to be seen whether the Mets will pull off a deal for veteran starter Bartolo Colon, whose fate will be one of the most-watched storylines over the next few days. Over at Fangraphs, Mike Petriello questioned why there has seemed to be such little demand for the righty, concluding that he is likely worth his $11 million salary for next season and could well be an important last-minute upgrade for a contender.
     
  • Although the Marlins are hanging on in the playoff race — they're five and a half games out of a Wild Card spot — president of baseball operations Michael Hill told MLB.com's Joe Frisaro that a last-minute trade is unlikely. However, that doesn't mean that the team will be going young in the month of September. With a postseason berth still a possibility, Hill noted that the team is less inclined to go with young players in order to give them experience when a veteran could give them a better chance at winning in a given situation. For this reason, top prospect Andrew Heaney may not get a September callup, Frisaro noted.
     
  • The Phillies announced that they acquired right-hander Victor Arano as the second player in the Roberto Hernandez trade. The 19-year-old Arano ranked as the Dodgers' No. 14 prospect on MLB.com's midseason Top 20 list.
     
  • Diamondbacks hurler Patrick Corbin is likely not to return until June of next year, at the earliest, as Adam Lichtenstein of MLB.com wrote. The club is taking a fairly conservative approach with its prized young lefty.
     
  • The Mariners agreed to sign Dominican shortstop prospect Christopher Torres with a $375,000 bonus, MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reported. Torres was rated the 18th-best overall international prospect available on this year's July 2 market by MLB.com.
     
  • The Diamondbacks announced, via press release, that they claimed outfielder Nolan Reimold off waivers from the Blue Jays.
     
  • The Royals claimed infielder Jayson Nix off waivers from the Pirates, Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reported. Nix was designated for assignment by Pittsburgh on Monday.

User Comments

Mike
August 29, 2014 - 1:39 PM EDT
Ruben Amaro is a squirrelly looking guy. I sat next to him at an event this past week and he seems very different from the rest of the Montgomery/Middleton/Buck group that runs the team. Given the position his decisions have the team in it is surprising they still support his baseball decisions, though it is a very loyal group of owners.
allhailshapiro
August 29, 2014 - 10:34 AM EDT
who has Jayson Nix NOT played for now?

Your Name:
Leave a Comment:
Security Code:

IBI Videos

Available IBI Books

The 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider book featuring the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is now available. Also, previous editions from 2008-2012 are also available at a discounted rate. Just click on the book image for more information. Thanks again for all the support!

 

RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
News   |   Teams   |   Players   |   Reference   |   Rankings   |   Depth Chart   |   Payroll   |   Boards   |   Privacy
Admin Login
All Rights Reserved 2014, Indians Baseball Insider   |   Affordable web design by Ohio Connect