Storylines: Orioles eyeing Samardzija
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, May 28th.
- Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago reported that multiple sources have told him the Orioles have been the team most actively pursuing Cubs' ace Jeff Samardzija. Levine said that there is mutual interest between the two clubs. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun also added that the Cubs have sent scouts to low-level Minor League affiliates, including Class-A Delmarva to see Baltimore pitching prospect Hunter Harvey.
- Doctors confirmed that there was no structural damage in Nick Swisher's ailing knees, and Terry Francona does not expect Swisher's injury to require a long-term DL stint.
- Francona also said that injured starter Zach McAllister will throw off the mound in Cleveland on Friday.
- Michael Bourn collected his 1,00th career hit in Wednesday night's game.
Others News and Notes
- Philadelphia general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News that the team won't have a timetable on Cliff Lee's injury until he is reevaluated.
- Lefty reliever Sean Burnett of the Angels suffered a torn UCL for the second time in his career and will likely miss the rest of the season.
- To complete the Kyle Blanks trade, the Athletics sent pitcher Ronald Herrera to the Padres.
- The Braves announced that they have called up second base prospect Tommy La Stella, though no corresponding move has been announced yet.
- Texas claimed righty Phil Irwin off waivers from the Pirates and assigned him to Triple-A Round Rock. The Rangers also agreed to acquire utility man Jason Donald from the Royals.
- The Orioles outrighted reliever Evan Meek off of their 40-man roster.
- The Dodgers acquired Minor League catcher Johnny Monell from the Orioles.