Storylines: Nova suffers elbow injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, April 20th.
- Yankees starter Ivan Nova was placed on the 15-day DL with a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The injury is believed to require Tommy Johnsurgery.
- Manager Terry Francona said that he has been tempted to switch up the top of his lineup, but for now he is remaining patient and expects Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher, and Carlos Santana to all bounce back from their early season struggles.
- Francona noted that the plan remains to activate veteran DH Jason Giambi prior to Monday’s game against Kansas City. A corresponding move is not yet known.
News and Notes
- The Twins claimed outfielder Sam Fuld off of waivers. Fuld was designated for assignment by Oakland. To make room for their new outfielder, Minnesota designated fellow outfield Darin Mastroianni for assignment.
- According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants are unlikely to acquire infield help, despite the fact that second baseman Marco Scutaro still isn’t able to play in extended Spring Training games because of his back injury.
- After placing Nova on the DL, the Yankees recalled pitchers Preston Claiborne and Bryan Mitchell, and activated first baseman Mark Teixeira from the DL. New York also sent infielder Scott Sizemore to Triple-A and designated pitcher Matt Daley for assignment.
- The Tigers called-up infielder Danny Worth from Triple-A Toledo and released veteran infielder Alex Gonzalez.
Maybe we can deal them Johnson? lol