Storylines: Martin Perez to DL with elbow injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, May 11th.
- According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, catcher George Kottaras has cleared waivers and has 72 hours to decide if he will accept an assignment to Triple-A Columbus or elect free agency.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweeted that the Indians have released Minor League pitcher Brett Brach. The move was made to add infielder/outfielder Elliot Johnson to the Triple-A roster.
Others News and Notes
- Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest tweeted that Rangers' starter Martin Perez has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with elbow inflammation.
- According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, one Major League source has said that the Yankees may change their minds on signing free agent shortstop Stephen Drew if they begin to feel that Derek Jeter can't handle the position on an everyday basis.
- With All-Star catcher Matt Wieters now on the disabled list, MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko wrote that the Orioles will be on the lookout for catching help.
- One week after designating him for assignment, the Rays have decided to release former All-Star closer Heath Bell, making him a free agent.
- According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins will designate reliever Carlos Marmol for assignment.
- The Blue Jays activated closer Casey Janssen from the disabled list and designated infielder Chris Getz for assignment.
- The Rangers designated starter Scott Baker for assignment last Thursday, and Baker has now cleared waivers and will accept an assignment to Triple-A.
- Outfielder Xavier Nady has refused his outright assignment to the minors by the Padres, and has instead elected free agency.
- Toronto claimed outfielder Kenny Wilson off waivers from the Twins. Wilson was originally designated for assignment by the Blue Jays and was picked up by the Twins. Minnesota then designated him assignment last Friday and Toronto has re-acquired him.