Storylines: Indians send Hynes to Dodgers
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, April 6th.
- The Indians traded lefty reliever Colt Hynes to the Dodgers for Minor League pitcher Duke von Schamann.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com reported that the contract the Indians signed catcher George Kottaras to includes an April 30th opt out date. Kottaras can also earn a base salary of $950K if he makes the big league roster.
Others News and Notes
- Pirates' top pitching prospect and former number two overall pick Jameson Taillon will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- Yasiel Puig was sent by the Dodgers to have an MRI on his ailing left thumb. Puig injured his thumb sliding into first base on an infield hit in Saturday's game against the Giants.
- The Mets announced that closer Bobby Parnell has decided to undergo Tommy John Surgery.
- Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com wrote that if the Mets are seeking extra bullpen help, they could look to one of Joel Hanrahan, Kevin Gregg, or Ryan Madson.
- Former Red Sox outfielder Darnell McDonald announced on Instagram that he has decided to retire. McDonald spent time in the Indians Minor League system.
- The Dodgers designated outfielder Mike Baxter for assignment to make room on their 40-man roster for Colt Hynes.
He's a mix of Tomlin and McAllister and like those two, he'll be a fine 4th/5th SP depth pretty soon. This trade reminds me of the Branyan for McAllister one. Buy low on a legit prospect. He cracked some top20 Dodger lists.