Storylines: Giants eyeing Samardzija
Former Notre Dame wide receiver Jeff Samardzija is highly sought after around the Majors.
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, June 15th.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that the Giants are now showing strong interest in Cubs ace Jeff Samardzija. According to Nightengale, the Yankees, Orioles, Angels, Red Sox, and Blue Jays all remain in the mix as well.
- Sometime Monday, Terry Francona and pitching coach Mickey Callaway plan to speak with Zach McAllister to determine his next step in his return from the disabled list. McAllister has now made three Minor League rehab starts.
Others News and Notes
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wrote that scouts have been impressed with Jonathan Papelbon's rebound from his rough start to the season and he may be one of the first Phillies to go once they decide to sell.
- According to Maureen Mullen of Boston.com, the Red Sox plan to try third baseman Will Middlebrooks out in the outfielder when he returns from his finger injury.
- The Astros signed veteran reliever Jose Veras to a Minor League deal. Veras, who spent time with Houston last season as their closer, was released by the Cubs after signing with them over the winter.
- Lefty Wade LeBlanc declined his outright assignment to Triple-A by the Yankees and has elected free agency.