Storylines: Cain placed on DL with odd injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AndrewIBI.
Here are the stories from Monday, May 5th.
- The Indians will need to make a roster move on Tuesday in order to promote right-hander Josh Tomlin to start against Minnesota. According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, it is possible that Cleveland could option outfielder Nyjer Morgan, if Michael Bourn is deemed ready to go. Third-string catcher George Kottaras is also vulnerable, though he would need to be designated for assignment.
News and Notes:
- Matt Cain has been placed on the 15-day DL in order to recover from a cut on his right index finger that already cost him one start earlier this week. While making a sandwich in the Giants’ clubhouse last Tuesday, Cain dropped a knife and tried to catch it in mid-air, cutting his finger in the process. While the injury isn’t serious and Cain could return to the rotation as early as Saturday, the Giants ace may have earned himself a mention in future lists of oddball MLB injuries.
- The recent struggles of Yankees starters C.C. Sabathia (age 33) and Hiroki Kuroda (age 39) have weighed on the minds of Red Sox management in regards to a possible Jon Lester extension, Peter Gammons reported. According to Gammons, while the Sox are surely interested in keeping Lester in the fold through 2018, anything beyond that could be problematic given the history of guaranteeing big money to aging pitchers. Lester would be 35 on Opening Day 2019, which could be why Boston’s most recent offer to the southpaw was a four-year extension.
- According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, the Washington Nationals tried to sign Doug Fister to a long-term deal in the offseason after acquiring him from the Tigers. Talks never got very far off the ground, however.
- Former first overall draft pick Matt Bush is halfway through a 51-month prison sentence and he talked to FOX Sports’ Gabe Kapler about his regrets and his battles with alcoholism.
- Scott Boras’ inability to adapt to the new qualifying offer system in free agency is why clients Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew are still waiting for new contracts, Scout.com’s Kiley McDaniel wrote.
- While plenty have argued that the time is now for the Cardinals to call up top prospect Oscar Taveras, GM John Mozeliak plans to keep him in the minors for the time being, according to a report from Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- The Padres announced that they designated outfielder Xavier Nady for assignment in order to clear a spot on the 25-man roster for Kyle Blanks, who was recalled from Triple-A El Paso for yesterday's game.
- Twins right-hander Matt Guerrier has a May 8 opt-out clause in his minor league contract and isn’t willing to push that date back to wait for a future opportunity, agent Joe Bick told Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
- The Tigers announced that they outrighted first baseman Jordan Lennerton off the 40-man roster. Presumably, this move is designed to open a spot on the 40-man roster for left-hander Robbie Ray, who is scheduled to make his big league debut with Detroit today.
Also interesting that the Red Sox do not want to go past 4 yrs on new contract with there star pitcher in Lester. I wonder if this might be a new trend that will start happening with FA pitchers going forward.