Storylines: Astros finalizing their draft board
The Astros are looking at six players with their top pick, according to reports.
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, June 1st.
- Terry Francona told reporters that Carlos Santana feels like he could return from his concussion by Wednesday, but the manager said the end of the week is more likely.
- Francona also announced that injured starter Zach McAllister will make a rehab start on Wednesday.
Others News and Notes
- According to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle, the Astros are expected to finalize their draft board early this week. Drellich reported that Houston has narrowed their number one overall choice down to six players: College pitchers Carlos Rodon and Aaron Nola, high school arms Tyler Kolek and Brady Aiken, and high school position players Nick Gordon and Alex Jackson.
- The Marlins traded their 39th overall Competitive Balance pick to the Pirates for righty reliever Bryan Morris. Miami still owns two picks in the first round of Thursday’s draft (2 and 36), and the Pirates now have the 24thand 39th pick in the first night.
- According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, the Marlins aren’t done making moves. Frisaro said that at least one more transaction is likely coming this week.
- An MRI revealed that Boston’s Mike Carp has a broken foot. The Red Sox are expected to make multiple roster moves before their series opener against Cleveland Monday, including activating shortstop Stephen Drew.
- Fred Mitchell of the Chicago Tribune reported that the White Sox are likely to take a pitcher with their third overall selection in Thursday’s draft.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wrote that with the Diamondbacks most likely being out of contention this summer, they could look to move veteran starter Bronson Arroyo, who signed with the club this past offseason.
- Cafardo also reported that the Phillies have made it known that they are making outfielder John Mayberry Jr. available.
- Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reported that veteran reliever Luis Ayala, who opted out of this contract with the Orioles on Saturday, will pitch in Mexico.
- The Pirates claimed reliever Wirfin Obispo off waivers, after he was designated for assignment by the Braves on Saturday.
- Philadelphia designated lefty reliever Jeremy Horst for assignment.