Here are the box scores from Tuesday's games against the Reds' affiliates.
- This has nothing to do with the game action on Tuesday, but I am hearing that RHP Josh Judy has been experiencing some arm issues. It is not considered serious, but the Indians are being very cautious and have supposedly shut him down for a few days. There is a possibility he could open the season in extended spring training.
- If anyone reads or hears about a rumor floating around the internet that the Indians are not happy with catcher Lou Marson and are looking to trade for a veteran catcher....it is 110% bogus. The Indians are very committed to Marson as the starting catcher to open the season, and they have no interest in acquiring a veteran catcher.
- As for the game action on Tuesday, Columbus brought their hitting shoes as they put up 10 runs on 17 hits, and were led by 2B Brian Bixler (3-for-3, RBI) and DH Russell Branyan (2-for-3, HR, 2 RBI, BB). Nice to see Russell the Muscle in action finally.
- LHP Scott Lewis and RHP Dave Roberts were roughed up for Columbus. Lewis went 4 innings and allowed 4 runs on 4 hits, 1 walk and had 3 strikeouts while Roberts went 2 innings and allowed 4 runs on 6 hits with no walks or strikeouts.
- RHP Paolo Espino had a nice outing for Akron going 4 shutout innings and allowed 3 hits, 1 walk and had 5 strikeouts. Nothing is set in stone yet, but he appears to be heading for the Akron bullpen to start the season.
- 2B Jason Kipnis continues to rake this spring as he went 2-for-5 with a 2B, HR, and RBI. I won't post the final stats until after the spring games are complete, but I think that was his 4th or 5th home run of the spring in about 10 games.
- DH/1B Chris Kersten continues to hit and hit with some power this spring as he went 2-for-4 with 2 2Bs on Tuesday. Aside from Kipnis, Kersten has probably been the most impressive offensive performer this spring and looks to be in line for the DH/1B job at Lake County to open the season.
- RHP Preston Guilmet (pictured) threw 3 shutout-hitless innings and allowed 2 walks while striking out 4. He will likely open in a swing role at either Kinston or Lake County (think Russell Young's role to start last season).
- 2B/SS Adam Davis and OF Roman Pena each homered in the Mahoning Valley game.
The 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider book featuring the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is now available. Also, previous editions from 2008-2012 are also available at a discounted rate. Just click on the book image for more information. Thanks again for all the support!