Here are the box scores from Monday morning's six inning inter-squad scrimmages. Short day on Monday, possibly to get right to staff meetings to make a few cuts before Tuesday's workouts and games.
Not much to talk about from the games, but here are some quick thoughts on how the starting rotations are starting to shape up for the Indians' full season affiliates:
- If you have been paying attention to the pitch counts and innings the pitchers have been working, then it should be pretty easy to tell who will be in the starting rotation to start the season. Based on that information, Columbus looks like it will be RHP Carlos Carrasco (when he is sent down), RHP Hector Rondon, RHP Jeanmar Gomez, RHP Yohan Pino and LHP Scott Lewis. Lake County looks like it will be RHP Trey Haley, RHP Clayton Cook, RHP Marty Popham, LHP T.J. McFarland, and RHP Joe Gardner. Akron looks like it will be LHP Eric Berger, LHP Scott Barnes, LHP Kelvin De La Cruz, RHP Zach Putnam and RHP Connor Graham. Kinston is a little tougher as 7 guys are up for the 5 spots. RHP Alex White, LHP T.J. House, RHP Alexander Perez and LHP Nick Hagadone are locks, but the final spot should come down to LHP Chris Jones, RHP Joey Mahalic and RHP Danny Salazar. One or two of those guys may make the pen as a long man/spot starter (I think Mahalic gets it to start).
- LHP Eric Berger (pictured) only went 2 innings and 25 pitches last time out, which is interesting. Either he is being backed off and may open in the bullpen, or got hurt. I will try and confirm one way or another.
- Looking at RHP Josh Tomlin's work the past few outings, he looks to be moving back to the bullpen, where he could open in the bullpen at either Columbus or Akron.
- RHP Bryce Stowell, LHP Ryan Edell, RHP Bryan Price, RHP Paolo Espino, RHP Preston Guilmet, RHP Brett Brach, and RHP Alexander Morales all appear to be getting their work and pitch count up to pitch in 2-3 innings out of the pen.
- RHP Omar Aguilar was up to 96 MPH yesterday, so it looks like the minor hamstring injury which has bothered him the last week and a half may be gone.
The 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider book featuring the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is now available. Also, previous editions from 2008-2012 are also available at a discounted rate. Just click on the book image for more information. Thanks again for all the support!