Here are the box scores from Saturday's minor league games against the Brewers affiliates. Some quick notes are posted below:
- We are at the point in camp where starters are beginning to go 60-70 pitches an outing, which means you can tell who is going to make the rotation to start the year and who won't. RHP Yohan Pino threw 75 pitches yesterday going 5 innings and allowed 5 runs, 5 hits, 1 walk and had 2 strikeouts.
- Somewhat of a surprise, it looks like RHP Connor Graham (pictured) is staying in the rotation at least at the outset of the season as he threw 70 pitches yesterday and in 4 innings allowed 1 run, 1 hit, 6 walks and had 2 strikeouts. The walks are still killing him.
- RHP Vinnie Pestano is back in action, and he threw 18 pitches yesterday going 1 inning and allowed 1 run, 2 hits, 1 walk and had no strikeouts. Good to see the Vin Man back out there.
- RHP Neil Wagner struckout the side in his one inning of shutout work. His one blemish was a base hit he allowed.
- OF Matt McBride went 1-for-3 at the plate with a HR and 3 RBI. It looks like McBride is going to be an everyday guy at Akron to start the season who rotates between 1B, OF, and DH.
- LHP T.J. House had a good outing going 4 innings and allowed 1 run, 3 hits, 1 walk and had 5 strikeouts. He threw 60 pitches and had first pitch strikes to 75% of the hitters he faced.
- RHP Matt Langwell worked 2 shutout innings of relief in the Kinston game allowing 1 hit, no walks and had 3 strikeouts. RHP Mike Pontius came in after him to close out the game, but in his 1 inning of work he threw 30 pitches and allowed 4 runs, 4 hits, 1 walk, and had 1 strikeout.
- RHP Clayton Cook threw 46 innings over 4 shutout innings and allowed 2 hits, no walks, and had 2 strikeouts. He is getting ready to open the season in the Low-A Lake County rotation.
- 1B Chris Nash went 2-for-3 with a 2B, BB and 3 RBI. He is on the bubble and is battling for the first base or DH spot at Kinston. It is possible that he and Nate Recknagel may share first base and DH duties to start the season.
- OF Jason Smit went 3-for-3 with a 2B, HR, and 3 RBI. He looks like he is primed for a move up to Lake County to start the season.
The 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider book featuring the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is now available. Also, previous editions from 2008-2012 are also available at a discounted rate. Just click on the book image for more information. Thanks again for all the support!