Here are the box scores from Friday's seven inning inter-squad games. Some quick thoughts:
- 2B Brian Bixler (pictured) went 2-for-4 with 2 2B at the plate, and looks to be the odds on favorite to be the utility guy in Columbus. He may even end up the starter at 2B and push Josh Rodriguez into more of a utility role.
- OF John Drennen went 2-for-3 with 2 2B and an RBI. He looks good in camp and may be ready to build on his strong second half finish last year.
- RHP Omar Aguilar was not very good as in 1 inning he allowed 3 runs on 3 hits, 1 walk and had 1 strikeout. Something to note is his velocity is only topping out at 91 MPH as he normally sits a few MPH above that.
- LHP Scott Barnes was in midseason form needing only 36 pitches to go 4 shutout innings while allowing just 1 hit, no walks and had 2 strikeouts.
- RHP Marty Popham went 4 strong shutout innings allowing 4 hits, 0 walks and had 3 strikeouts. He needed 60 pitches to get through those four innings.
- LHP Chris Jones struggled through 3 innings of work as he allowed 4 runs on 7 hits, 1 walk and had 1 strikeout.
- In the Mahoning Valley game there were a lot of good performances. SS Mark Thompson went 4-for-5, 1B Nate Recknagel went 3-for-5 with 2 2B and 4 RBI, 3B Kyle Bellows went 2-for-3 with a 2B and 3 RBI, and catcher Chun Chen hit a grand slam home run.
The 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider book featuring the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is now available. Also, previous editions from 2008-2012 are also available at a discounted rate. Just click on the book image for more information. Thanks again for all the support!