Here are the box scores from Thursday's games with the Chicago White Sox and their minor league affiliates. Here are some quick observations when looking through the box scores:
- It was a case of good and bad for 3B Wes Hodges yesterday. Seeing 3 walks is very nice to see, but seeing 2 errors is not.
- OF/1B Stephen Head went 2-for-4 with 2 RBI for Columbus. It looks like he will be an everyday guy for Columbus this year, but be in a role where he splits time at DH, 1B, and RF.
- RHP Mitch Talbot had another impressive outing yesterday going 6 innings and allowing 1 run on 5 hits, 2 walks and had 5 strikeouts. He has really had a nice spring and has all but locked up a spot on the big league staff, though it is not sure if he will be the 5th starter or the long man in the bullpen.
- OF Time Fedroff had a rough day going 0-for-5 with 3 Ks.
- 3B Lonnie Chisenhall with another good showing going 2-for-3 with 2 walks, a HR and 2 RBI. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch this year in Akron.
- 1B Beau Mills had a nice game going 2-for-4 with a 2B and 4 RBI. He likely will repeat at Double-A Akron to start the season.
- It was nice to see LHP Scott Lewis (pictured) back in action when I was down for spring training last week. Yesterday he had a nice line going 3 innings and allowed 1 run on 2 hits, 0 walks and had 1 strikeout. He threw first pitch strikes to 9 of 11 hitters and was up to 88 MPH with his fastball. He looks like he will be good to go to open the season in the Columbus rotation.
- RHP Paolo Espino had a dominating performance going 3 shutout innings allowing 1 hit and no walks while piling up 5 strikeouts.
- Once again, 2B Jason Kipnis had a nother good game going 3-for-4 with a 2B.
- OF Abner Abreu went 2-for-4 with a 2B, 3B and 3 RBI. Getting him back healthy all year will be a big boost to the system.
- LHP TJ McFarland had an impressive outing going 3 shutout innings allowing 2 hits and no walks and piling up 6 strikeouts. He apparently may be heading back to Low-A Lake County to start the season, much like RHP Joey Mahalic did last year, but should move up to Kinston quickly.
- RHP Dave Roberts has not had a very good spring, and was touched up again yesterday as in 2 innings he allowed 2 runs on 4 hits, 1 walk and had 1 strikeout.
The 2013 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider book featuring the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is now available. Also, previous editions from 2008-2012 are also available at a discounted rate. Just click on the book image for more information. Thanks again for all the support!