Smoke Signals s7e1: From Hot Stove to Spring
Jim and Tony open up a brand new season of Smoke Signals!
Welcome to Season 7 of Smoke Signals.
Tony and Jim are back on the airwaves for another season of Smoke Signals, IBI's flagship podcast. In today's episode, we discuss the Indians' offseason moves, and whether or not the Indians did enough to contend in 2014. They discuss the starting rotation with a look at what they like and don't like about it as spring training gets underway, talk about any possibilities that exist with a return of Ubaldo Jimenez or even Ervin Santana coming on board, the amazing strides Carlos Santana has made at third base, and much more.
Starting this Tuesday, Smoke Signals should broadcast LIVE on the site every night with a posting the next day with the podcast. We will share more details on this new setup soon.....probably in advance of Tuesday's show!
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.
As to the start of the show...it is what it is...satire. I wasn't trying to offend the ardent curlers or the Winter Olympic biathletes.
-Would prefer this to be more interactive, but, you know your audience and it's inconsistencies..
A few points:
1. The winter Olympics stuff.. didn't engender humor or likeness of thinking. The same degree/level of commitment to an Olympian's craft, albeit curling or ice dancing or any of the snow sports is a beautiful thing and requires the same level of commitment a baseball players has to give to be the best in the world. Shooting/X-Country Skiing (Biathlon) has deep roots and is founded in the history of the event.
3. Great discussion on Carlos Santana. He was a 3B in the Dodger's system before they converted him (I believe Beltre was in front of him, so the Dodgers took one look at those stumpy little legs and said: Catcher).. Carlos could answer the question: Who is the best starting 3B for the Indians since Buddy Bell?
4. Ryan Raburn was limited.. 263 At Bats.. As a RH hitter facing lefties.. he was in the zone..
5. CC-Lite (Carlos Carrasco) and T - Bauer Power will be the strength of the squad if this team is going to make another October run..
6. Masterson's arbitration and potential extension are the key priorities for the Indians going into the season. 6/$ 100 MM for Bailey is going to spook the Indians FO..
7 Platoons: Have their advantages.. but opens a team up to a wise and capable veteran manager..