MLB Storylines: Reds, Bailey agree to long-term extension
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, February 19th.
- Homer Bailey and the Reds have finally reached an agreement on a contract extension. Cincinnati will give the 27-year-old Bailey $100 million over the next six years, though the total value of the deal is $105 million because the contract includes a mutual option for a seventh year at $25 million with a $5 million buyout. Bailey will earn $9 million in 2014 and $10 million in 2015 before seeing a significant bump in his annual salary as he will make $18 million in 2016, $19 million in 2017, $21 million in 2018, and $23 million in 2019.
- Oregon State left-hander Ben Wetzler has been suspended indefinitely by the NCAA for illegal contact with a financial advisor after being drafted in the 5th round of last June's draft by the Phillies. Baseball America's Aaron Fitt reported that it was the Phillies themselves who turned Wetzler in to the NCAA, and Fitt said that Philadelphia attempted to do the same thing with 6th round pick Jason Monda of Washington State, but Monda was cleared by the NCAA. Both players decided to return to college for their senior seasons instead of signing with Philadelphia. Fitt noted that the action taken by the Phillies is a "significant departure from industry norm." Scout.com's Kiley McDaniel said that the Phillies "destroyed all trust" between agents, players, and teams, and Jim Callis of Baseball America commented that this action should cause non-senior players and agents to be wary of dealing with Philadelphia.
- Shaun Marcum was cleared to return to the mound on Wednesday and took part in a 25-pitch bullpen session. Cleveland is trying to slow Marcum down a little bit in his return from surgery to help alleviate pain from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
- Jim Bowden of ESPN tweeted that Indians team president Mark Shapiro said that the last formal offer the team made to Ubaldo Jimenez was the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer.
Others News and Notes
- According to Jayson Stark of ESPN, the Blue Jays are unlikely to sign a free agent pitcher. Toronto had been considered a possibility for Ubaldo Jimenez before he signed with Baltimore, and they also were seen as a favorite for Ervin Santana.
- Stark also reported that the Pirates continue to monitor Mets first baseman Ike Davis as a possible trade fit, and Joel Sherman of the New York Post said that the Orioles also still have interest in Davis. According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pirates would still consider forfeiting their first round pick for a free agent, and Kendrys Morales has been linked to Pittsburgh multiple times this winter.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that an agreement on a home-plate collision rule is possible within the next 24-48 hours.
- Joe Strauss of the St. Louis-Dispatch reported that Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz had a private workout with the Cardinals and the team is expected to offer Diaz a contract within the next 24 hours.
- The Braves have extended the contracts of general manager Frank Wren and manager Fredi Gonzalez.
All right, I'll help you out:
OH DAMN, NOW THE INDIANS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GIVE MASTERSON A 6 YEAR DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!