MLB Storylines: Lester hoping to stay in Boston
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, March 1st.
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that there is mutual interest between the Red Sox and top starter Jon Lester on a contract extension. Heyman believes that the odds seem to favor a deal between Lester and Boston getting done, and Lester has stated that he hopes an extension is worked out sometime during Spring Training.
- The Indians had their game with the White Sox on Saturday cancelled due to rain. Aaron Harang will now start on Sunday against the Mariners and throw two innings, with Trevor Bauer following and throwing two innings of his own.
- Nick Swisher will also make his Cactus League debut in Sunday's game.
- Righty Shaun Marcum is still only throwing bullpens and should progress to throwing live batting practice in the next week. As of right now, there is no timetable for when Marcum could make his Cactus League debut.
Others News and Notes
- On Friday there was news that Twins top prospect Miguel Sano may need Tommy John surgery. Early Saturday morning it was confirmed that Sano will indeed undergo Tommy John surgery and will miss at least the next eight months.
- Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reported that the Astros appear unlikely to trade catcher Jason Castro.
- According to Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com, the Twins are showing interest in free agent lefty Joe Saunders, as long as they can get him cheaply.
- There were reports that Yankees top starter C.C. Sabathia's fastball was topping out around 88 mph in his first Spring Training outing.
- The Braves have agreed to a Minor League deal with a Spring Training invite with 29-year-old Cuban catcher Yenier Bello.