MLB Storylines: Could Cliff Lee be dealt this season?
- Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reported that 2014 could finally be the year that the Phillies trade Cliff Lee if they fall out of contention.
- Carlos Santana saw his first live action at third base on Thursday. He played two innings at the hot corner. No balls were hit in his direction, but he successfully fielded a relay throw from the outfield and tagged a runner out at third.
- According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Justin Mastersontold reporters, "I figure somehow, some way, I'll end up still being here for a few more years." Bastian added that the two sides spoke earlier this week and plan to do so again over the weekend and in the early portion of next week. MLB Daily Dish's Chris Cotillo wrote that the two sides recently exchanged parameters for a deal. Masterson has said in the past that he's willing to continue extension talks into the season, but GM Chris Antonetti is said to prefer a resolution by the end of Spring Training. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Indians' most recent offer to Masterson is believed to have been in the three- or four-year range.
- Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that the Indians know Trevor Bauer probably isn't ready for the Majors, which is what prompted their late signing of Aaron Harang to serve as depth. Bauer has altered his delivery somewhat and got mixed results in Wednesday's game against the Reds.
- R.J. Anderson of Baseball Prospectus looked at how the players he ranked in his Top 50 stacked up to the expected average annual value he laid out prior to the offseason. Anderson concluded that he underestimated the market for back-end starters, setup men and veterans with perceivable upside remaining. Because of that last category, he wonders if names like Asdrubal Cabrera and Chad Billingsleycould see larger paydays than many are expecting next winter. (Premium Article)
News and Notes
- Todd Zolecki of MLB.com wrote that Mike Adams of the Phillies threw his first bullpen session of the spring Thursday and said that he felt great afterwards.
- Chris Iott of MLive.com believes there's about a "ten percent" chance Max Scherzer inks an extension with Detroit prior to Opening Day.
- The Athletics announced the acquisition of infielder Jake Elmore from the White Sox in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman said that the last thing he's concerned about is the health of Derek Jeter andMark Teixeira.
- Juan Rincon is planning to work out for teams soon that are interested in his services, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported.
Only way he could possibly fit in Cleveland (IMO at least) is if the Phillies ate $10M/year...would put his salary around $15M, which would be doable (couldn't resign Masterson though)....
I'm guessing though some team would take him without the Phillies paying that much. Yanks could really use him....and Dodgers with him would just be down right disgusting...
1, he feels that Indians will be in contention for next couple of years and wants to be part of that.
2. He enjoys working and feels comfortable with Francona and Calloway
3. Have recent twin newborns and problems of moving with at that young age.
I dont see Masterson signing a contract less than 5yrs. I think the Indians would have offer a 4yr with an option 5 th year in order of having a chance to retain him.
If Lee does get dealt I do not see the Indians in getting him. The big market teams and Cardinals would get first shot in acquiring him.