MLB News and Rumors: Pre-Winter Meetings rumors
With the offseason now in full spring, news will continue to become more and more frequent. In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
With no major signings or trades occurring on Saturday, there are no “Top Stories”. Instead, I will give a rundown of all of the news and notes.
Here are the stories from Saturday, December 7th.
News and Notes
- ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reported that Dave Stewart, Matt Kemp’s agent, has said that he has a “strong feeling that something could happen” involving Kemp at the Winter Meetings.
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post says the Rockies have maintained dialogue with free agent relievers Jesse Crain and Jose Veras as they attempt to rebuild their bullpen.
- Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reported that the Cubs and non-tendered reliever John Axford share a mutual interest in each other.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Rockies and A’s discussed a trade for Brett Andersonyesterday, but were unable to line up on a deal. Rosenthal says the two teams are not expected to continue discussing the trade idea.
- Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger reported that the Yankees have received significant interest in outfielderBrett Gardner, after the team signed Carlos Beltran Friday night. McCullough said the Yankees are willing to move Gardner, but are not actively shopping him.
- The Astros agreed to a contract with veteran reliever Chad Qualls for two years and $6 million with an option for a third year.
- Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports that Marlins first baseman Logan Morrison is drawing serious interest from as many as ten teams.
- Some baseball sources have told Ken Rosenthal that they think Rakuten Golden Eagles President Yozo Tachibana might follow through on a threat to not post star pitcher Masahiro Tanaka.
The Tribe does a good job of keeping trades and signings quiet. Well outside of the Winter Mtgs last yr (CA and Francona on MLB Network mtg w/ the Dbax). That was almost humorous.
I'd love to see Matt Kemp with Chief Wahoo on his sleeve. IF something doesn't work out between the Dodgers and Red Sox maybe the Red Sox will have interest in Bourn. It seems doubtful, but you never know.
I'd guess Jesse Crain is somewhere on the Indians list, but I'd also guess they are looking for healthy arms on big league deals and probably a few guys with other concerns on minimal or minor league deals.
Just throwing this name out there, but what about Joba Chamberlain? He might come cheap, coming of injury and then a down yr. Could be a buy low candidate.
Would love to have Kemp. But 2 problems is his contract and unable to avoid the injury bug the last 2 years.