MLB News and Rumors: Balfour deal in jeopardy
With the offseason now in full spring, news will continue to become more and more frequent. In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
With no major trades or signings occurring Thursday, there are no “Top Stories.” Instead, I will give a rundown of all of the day’s news and notes.
Here are the stories from Thursday, December 19th.
News and Notes
- Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reported that the Orioles deal with closer Grant Balfour is in serious jeopardy after issues arose in Balfour’s physical.
- The White Sox reached a one-year, $3.75 million deal with lefty reliever Scott Downs. The contract also includes a vesting option worth $4.25 million for 2015.
- The Indians designated reliever Trey Haley for assignment to make room for John Axford on the 40-man roster.
- Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi both reported that the Mariners have received considerable interest in second baseman Nick Franklin. Franklin was seen as the second baseman of the future for Seattle, but the signing of Robinson Cano to a ten-year contract has made the young middle infielder expendable. Franklin was ranked the number 47 prospect in baseball by MLB.com entering the 2013 season.
- The Nationals traded outfielder Corey Brown to the Athletics for cash considerations.
- Luke Scott has decided to sign a one-year contract with the SK Wyverns of the Korean Baseball Organization.
- San Francisco’s Brett Pill may also be heading to Korea, as the Giants have a deal in place with KIA Tigers to send Pill to the Korean Baseball Organization.
- The Reds have signed pitcher Chien-Ming Wang to a Minor League deal with an invite to Spring Training.
- Lefty Tsuyoshi Wada and the Cubs agreed to a Minor League contract with an invite to Spring Training.
- Ken Davidoff of the New York Post said the Yankees have stayed away from the closer market because of their confidence in David Robertson.
- Rich Dubroff of CSNSports.com reported that the Braves and Indians have shown interest in Wilson Betemit.
I would guess they have already talked to Daniel Bard. I'd like to see them sign him and / or Andrew Bailey to minor league deals.
I was just about to post re: Eric Surkamp, he would be an interesting option. Surkamp would be a but low target, but he can start, relieve, is controllable and should be had pretty cheap either by waiver claim or a minor trade. Btw, he's originally from Cincinnati.
Another name, Brett Marshall a 23yo smallish RHP from the Yankees, was DFA to make room for Beltran. He has been a career SP. Scouting reports...90-94 FB and a good CH 77-80 mph. Marshall will likely be claimed off waivers by a club like the Astros or Cubs IF he's not traded. I think he could be a depth guy, if the Tribe were interested.
Wouldn't mind Wilson Betemit on a minor league deal.
The Twins have signed Kurt Suzuki. I'm not sure IF they have the cash to spend on Arroyo now, but they offset the Doumit trade with the addition of Suzuki.
Also saw Eric Surkamp was DFA'd by the Giants. 6'5 lefty, not a hard thrower, but little service time. Would be interesting as an option in Columbus.
Another gold star for Mirabelli/Bud Grant - these guys are awful