Around the Farm: October 27, 2012
By Jim Pete
October 28, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Arizona Fall League
- Carlos Moncrief: DH, Scottsdale Scorpions: 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K: Moncrief hasn’t played since his debut in the AFL a week ago, but he continued right where he left off, with another two-hit performance. He also added his first homer, and is currently hitting .500 on the season. This kid is just loaded with talent, so it will be curious to see how tentative they are with him health-wise, going forward, but 2013 remains an important year for his development.
- Ronny Rodriguez: 2B, Scottsdale Scorpions: 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 2 K: Rodriguez has been on first over the past four games, with a four-game hit streak, going 7-for-16, with four runs, two doubles, a triple, an RBI and a stolen base. This is the explosive player that could separate him from the pack a bit with the rest of the upper level prospects in 2013.
- Matt Packer: RP, Scottsdale Scorpions: (BS, 1), 2/3 IP, 1 BB, 2 K: Packer entered the game with the bases loaded and the game tied, and promptly walked the first batter. He rebounded with a sac fly, while striking out two batters to get out of the inning. Packer has struggled in the AFL so far, which likely doesn’t bode well for his 2013 season.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz: SS, Estrellas de Oriente: 1-for-2, 1 R, 1 K: Diaz hadn’t played in a week for Estrellas, before getting one hit in two at-bats in his return on Saturday night. Diaz will start sweating a bit this season in Columbus, as a freight train of shortstops will be knocking on his door.
- Tim Fedroff: CF, Aguilas Cibaenas: 1-for-4, 1 K: Fedroff hasn’t exactly been shredding the baseball, but he has a hit in all seven ballgames he’s played in. Of course, the flip side of that is that he’s only had one multiple-hit game, doesn’t have an extra base hit, and only has two RBI. This has been his knock over the years.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Gregorio Petit: SS, Leones del Caracas: 1-for-3, 1 BB, 2 K: For those looking for their daily Petit fix, he’s playing horrendously in the VWL thus far. He’s hitting .160, while going 4-for-25, with three runs and a double. Of course, he does have one more extra base hit than Fedroff…so there’s that.
- Toru Murata: SP, Navegantes del Magallanes: 3 ½ IP, 6 H, 3 R/ER, 2 BB, 2 K: The Murata magic has apparently worn off a bit, as the Tribe’s 27-year-old Japanese starter has given up six earned runs in his last seven innings pitched. He’ll have to be exceptional to ever get a shot with the Tribe, and this just isn’t it so far.
Jim is currently the co-site editor, the ATF/Carolina Mudcats/Indians/General Site Columnist, and the co-host of IPI's weekly online radio show, Smoke Signals. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IPI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.