Around the Farm: October 14, 2012
By Jim Pete
October 15, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday:
- Tim Fedroff: LF, Aguilas Cibaenas: 2-for-5, 1 R, 1 RBI: Fedroff opened up the Dominican League exactly where he left off his 2012 season…hitting the ball. He’ll be in Cleveland in some form or fashion in 2013, and it will be interesting to see how the Francona-led Indians handle him going forward.
- Danny Salazar: P, Tigres del Licey: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K: There's no reason to hide it: Danny Salazar is probably the most talked about starter right now in the minor league system, as he is the one starter that just may make some noise with the Tribe in 2013. This was exactly the launching off point the Indians wanted, as his first appearance was two innings of shutout baseball.
- Toru Murata: SP, Navegantes del Magallanes: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 3 K: Murata was lights out in Akron to end the regular season, and dominated in the playoffs as well. He’s an older player, at 27, but does represent an intriguing minor league option going forward should he continue dominating, as he can both start, and relieve.
- Jesus Aguilar: PH-1B, Leones del Caracas: 0-for-1, 1 K: This was Aguilar’s fourth game, and he’s only had a hit in one of them. Aguilar is a top prospect, so it will be interesting to see if he continues to progress, or if he’s plateaued, as some people are speculating.
- Hector Rondon: RP, Leones del Caracas: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 1 K: This wasn’t a great outing for Rondon, but it was better than his first, when he gave up four earned runs in 1/3 of an inning. After missing most of 2010 and 2011, Rondon will be looking to make up ground quickly, but will get some leeway as well.
Jim is currently the co-site editor, the ATF/Carolina Mudcats/Indians/General Site Columnist, and the co-host of IPI's weekly online radio show, Smoke Signals. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IPI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.