Around the Farm: November 9, 2012
November 10, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Arizona Fall League
- Tyler Holt (LF, Scottsdale Scorpions): 1-for-3. As I stated yesterday in my Winter Ball Notebook, perhaps no Indians outfielder is playing better right now in winter ball than Holt. Overall, Holt has now gone 17-for-57 in 16 games. Perhaps even more impressive is the fact that Holt is now riding an eight-game hit streak.
- Ronny Rodriguez (SS, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-2, 1 BB, 1 K. On the same day that Holt’s hit streak reaches eight games, another Indian has his hit streak end at eight games. Overall, Rodriguez has now gone 14-for-54 with 14 strikeouts and just two walks in 14 games.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (LF, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-4, 3 K. Well, there are probably better ways for the left-handed hitting Campbell to begin his season in the ABL. Nonetheless, at least he is playing and grabbing valuable experience. In 33 games between Arizona and Single-A Mahoning Valley, Campbell posted a .172/.248/.224 this past season.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-2, 1 R, 1 2B. Petit has now put together his own nice little three-game hit streak, and he has gone 8-for-38 in 13 games in the VWL.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 0-for-3, 1 K. Diaz entered Friday’s contest on a hot streak as he had five hits in his last 11 at-bats, but unfortunately he settled for an 0-fer. Overall, the switch-hitting Diaz has gone 9-39 in 15 games.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K. Ramirez refuses to slow down. The switch-hitter’s hit streak improved to eight games and he has now gone 12-28 with nine runs scored in nine games in the DWL. His progress has been very exciting to watch, and there are no signs that it will be slowing down anytime soon.
- Tim Fedroff (LF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K. In 18 games, Fedroff has now gone 17-for-67. By no means are the numbers bad, but considering the regular season that he had, they are somewhat surprising. Though after playing for such an extended period of time, it is only probably natural to expect a slight decrease in performance.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Matt Langwell (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): 1 IP, 1 K. Langwell made his debut in the PWL on Friday, and it’s hard to argue with the results. He put together a perfect inning of relief and recorded outs via the strikeout, groundout and flyout.
- Rob Bryson (RP, Criollos de Caguas): 1 IP, 3 BB, 2 K. Bryson really walked the tightrope in his outing, but he managed to escape unscathed. Overall, he faced six total batters and amazingly did not allow a runner to score.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.