Around the Farm: November 3, 2012
By Jim Pete
November 4, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Arizona Fall League
- Alex Monsalve: C, AFL East Rising Stars: 0-for-1: Monsalve made the Rising Stars game, even though is .250/.311/.373 was hardly a stellar stretch for the young catcher this year in the AFL. With that said, the big right-handed catcher is only 20, and has a ton of upside. This season in the Carolina league will go a long way towards seeing just how much of a prospect he really is.
- Trey Haley: RP, AFL East Rising Stars: 1/3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB: Haley was less than impressive in his 1/3 of an inning, allowing two runners. With that said, he’s done nothing but impress in the AFL, and may just be the next big arm in the bullpen. The kid can hit triple digits, and may have found the consistency that had been lacking.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz: SS, Estrellas de Oriente: 0-for-3: Diaz continues to struggle in the DWL, hitting only .167 in nine games. He’s always a player that seems to be walking the line of either being a solid prospect, or just another fill player. With the players behind him, I fear he’s the latter, and not the former.
- Tim Fedroff: LF, Aguilas Cibaenas: 1-for-4, 1 BB, 1 K: Fedroff has a four-game hit streak, even though he’s only hitting .250 on the season. So far, he only has one extra-base hit in the DWL.
- Jose Ramirez: SS, Toros del Este: 1-for-4, 1 R, 2 K: So, Ramirez is hitting .400…go figure. Ramirez has a hit in every game that he’s had an at bat, continues to showcase the type of hitting that will eventually land him in the big leagues. Ramirez is another guy that has a lot to prove, as he really is coming out of obscurity into the top of the Indians prospect list.
- Yan Gomes: 3B, Toros del Este: 0-for-1, 1 K: Gomes celebrated his first day with the Indians by striking out. With that said, he’s struggled with Toros, to the tune of a .171/.237/.314 slash line.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Jesus Aguilar: PH, Leones del Caracas: 1-for-1, 1 2B: Aguilar roped his fourth double in 12 games in the VWL, but he’s yet to have a multi-hit game. Of his eight hits, five are extra base hits, including a home run.
- Gregorio Petit: PR/SS, Leones del Caracas: Petit’s only hitting .138, and it’s doubtful that he’ll be back with the Indians in 2013, even as a fill player.
Jim is currently the co-site editor, the ATF/Carolina Mudcats/Indians/General Site Columnist, and the co-host of IPI's weekly online radio show, Smoke Signals. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IPI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.