Around the Farm: January 9, 2013
January 9, 2013
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in winter ball did yesterday. The Australian Baseball League was off on Wednesday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 2-for-5, 1 R, 2 K, SB. Carrera has just been so consistent this winter. On Wednesday, he collected two more hits and also notched his 11 stolen base of the winter season. Carrera has now gone 40-for-139 this winter.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (SS, Leones del Caracas): 3-for-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 BB. It’s nice to see Cabrera starting to heat up with spring training right around the corner. Wednesday’s performance was arguably his best so far this winter, and the switch-hitting shortstop has now gone 22-for-71 this winter.
- Jesus Aguilar (1B, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 3 K. What’s better than reading Around the Farm and having the pleasure of seeing that Aguilar has launched a home run? How about when it’s his third straight game with a home run? Aguilar’s shot was a big one on Wednesday as it was of the three-run variety. The hulking first baseman has now gone 21-for-74 this winter with six home runs and concerns about his poor winter performance seem to be a distant memory. However, keep in mind that Aguilar has now struck out 31 times and drawn only four walks.
Dominican Winter League
- Delvi Cid (PH-RF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 1-for-1, 1 2B. This was only Cid’s second base hit of the winter season, but he made the most of it as it was a double. Cid has some speed and is coming off a pretty solid minor league season, but unfortunately his playing time has been extremely limited this winter, so it’s been hard to gauge his progress.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Roberto Perez (DH, Indios de Mayaguez): 0-for-4, 1 BB. Perez continues to get on base via the free pass, but he unfortunately has been unable to get a hit so far in the PWL postseason. Overall, Perez has gone 17-for-65 with 14 walks and 12 strikeouts this winter.
Steve can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In his AAA career he has a K rate of 14.4% and a BB rate of 8.1% both very respectable. In 2 years in MLB time (SSS) he has a K rate of 18.2% and a BB rate of 6.2%. Last year he seemed to be really overly aggressive posting a K rate of 22.2% while his walk rate dropped to 5.1%.
In the DR this winter he has struck out 18 times while drawing 17 walks (1 IBB). His overall K rate is 13% and his walk rate is 12.3%.
A lot of small sample size data but one thing he is going to have to do if he makes the team (he is out of options) out of camp is to be a little less aggressive against ML pitching.