Around the Farm: January 19, 2013
By Jim Pete
January 20, 2013
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Dominican Winter League
- Edward Paredes: (RP, Aguilas Cibaenas): 1 IP: Paredes entered the game in the bottom of the seventh inning, with two runs already in, only one out, and runners on first and third. He would give up an inherited run on a force out to his first batter, and then got out of the inning with a fly out. He would face one batter in the eighth inning, getting a fly out, before coming out of the game. Paredes has yet to give up an earned run in the playoffs, and is 3-0 with a 1.31 ERA in 37 ballgames.
Puerto Rican League
- Rob Bryson: (RP, Criollos de Caguas): H (3), 1/3 IP: Bryson is now at 20 games and 19 1/3 innings without giving up a run in winter league games so far this season. He has given up some inherited runners though, so that 0.00 ERA is a bit misleading. On Saturday night, he came in with two on and two outs and shut the door.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Ezequiel Carrera: (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 1-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K, CS, PO: Carrera is hitting .250 for the playoffs, and .274 overall in the DWL. The important number for the potential future fourth outfielder for the Indians is the OBP, which is at a very respectable .358. With rumors that the Indians are about to sign Ryan Rayburn, Carrera’s future as a member of the Indians past spring training is certainly in question.
- Asdrubal Cabrera: (DH, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-3, 1 K: Caracas did nothing offensively as Caracas got blasted 4-1. Cabrera’s playoff average dipped to .283, with his overall slash line at .280/.379/.390, for a .769 OPS. With Cabrera slated to play in the WBC, it should be interesting to see where his stamina and shape are in as the season progresses in 2013.
- Andrew Campbell: (CF, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-3: Campbell has gone 2-for-16 in his last four games ending the momentum of a five-game hit streak. His average dropped under .300 again, but the leadoff hitters OBP is at a solid .363 for the third place Bandits as they head towards the end of the Aussie League regular season.
- Quincy Latimore: (CF, Adelaide Bite): 2-for-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 3 BB, 1 PO: Latimore was an on base machine on Saturday night, using a single, a double, three walks and a fielding error to get on base an impressive six times. The Raleigh native has hit safely in six straight games, going 10-for-23 during that stretch. His overall slash-line is .302/.415/.534, which would be among the league leaders if he had the at bats to qualify.
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.