Around the Farm: January 18, 2013
January 19, 2013
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Here is the rundown of what Cleveland players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 0-for-3, 2 BB, 1 K. It seems as if it's a rarity for Carrera not to at least grab one base knock in a winter league game, but that's what happened on Friday. However, he did still manage to draw two walks and that now gives him 22 walks against just 24 strikeouts in 44 games this winter.
Dominican Winter League
- Delvi Cid (PR-DH, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0-for-0. On Friday, Cid did what he's done best this winter: pinch run. Unfortunately for Cid, his team, Aguilas Cibaenas, fell 10-7 in 10 innings in game one of the Dominican League Championship Series.
- Edward Paredes (RP, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0.1 IP. Paredes did his job on Friday as the left-hander entered the game in the top of the 10th inning to perform some damage control as Leones del Escogido had just taken the lead and was in position to take an even greater lead. Paredes managed to get the one batter he faced, Leslie Anderson, to groundout, but it unfortunately would become a moot point. Paredes was then replaced by Wilkins Arias, who proceeded to allow a single, which scored another Leones del Escogido run.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Roberto Perez (PH-C, Indios de Mayaguez): 0-for-1. Perez got one at-bat on Friday in the first game of the Puerto Rican League Championship Series. Perez's at-bat came at a crucial point as Indios de Mayaguez had just gotten back into the game in the top of the eight inning by scoring two runs to cut the Criollos de Caguas lead to 5-4. Perez came to the plate as a pinch hitter with two outs and two runners on base. However, the right-handed hitter unfortunately grounded out to end any chance of an Indios de Mayaguez comeback.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (CF, Brisbane Bandits): 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 K. Campbell remains the model of consistency as his average has hovered around .300 for the majority of the winter season. Campbell has now gone 39-for-131 in 37 games this winter.
- Quincy Latimore (CF, Adelaide Bite): 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 K. Latimore recorded his seventh extra base hit in just 11 games on Friday. It's nice to see that he seems to have some power potential, but he also racked up three strikeouts on Friday. That now gives him 15 strikeouts and just three walks in those 11 games.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.