Around the Farm: December 7, 2012
December 8, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Jeanmar Gomez (SP, Tiburones de La Guaira): 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R/0 ER, 2 K. This was Gomez’s second appearance so far in the VWL, and it was a good one. Of the 53 pitches that Gomez threw, 34 of them were strikes. Gomez went four innings on Friday, which is up from last week, so it will be interesting to see if he continues to be stretched out. Overall, the right-hander has yet to allow an earned run in the two appearances.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 0-for-3. Carrera may be entering a mini slump as the left-handed hitter has now gone hitless in his last two games. Overall, he has still had a strong winter as he’s hit .290 in 18 games.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 2 K. This was not one of Ramirez’s better winter performances as he’s not a hitter that is prone to strikeout, yet he recorded two here. Nonetheless, the switch-hitter did record a hit to keep his hit streak alive at five games.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 1-for-2. McDade recorded one hit on Friday before being replaced by a pinch hitter after two at-bats. The switch-hitter hit 17 home runs this past season in the minors, but he has yet to hit one this winter, so hopefully that will change soon.
- Nick Hagadone (RP, Aguilas Cibaenas): 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 1 K. Hagadone has unfortunately had a rough start to his winter season. Hopefully this is not a precursor of things to come because his ERA now sits at 13.50 after five games.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB. You have to love progress. While Santana did not put together a monster line, he did manage to get on base twice by way of a walk and a single. This is still a massive improvement from some recent games that Santana has had.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Rob Bryson (RP, Criollos de Caguas): (H, 3), 2/3 IP, 1 K. Bryson remains perfect so far this winter, and he has now pitched 11 scoreless innings in 10 games.
- Matt Langwell (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): (H, 2), 1 IP, 1 BB. Langwell has almost been as impressive as Bryson in the PWL. Overall, Langwell has a 0.93 ERA in 9 2/3 innings of work this winter.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (LF, Brisbane Bandits): 2-for-3. Campbell has never really been too much of a prospect, but it’s hard not to love what he’s done this year in the ABL. He’s currently riding a five-game hit streak, and he has gone 12-for-36 overall this winter.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.