Around the Farm: December 5, 2012
December 6, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Australian Baseball League was off on Wednesday and two Puerto Rican Winter League games were postponed.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Jesus Aguilar (1B, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-3. Unfortunately, Aguilar was unable to record a hit on Wednesday. However, his performance was not all bad. Aguilar did not record a strikeout, which has to be considered a positive given Aguilar's high strikeout rate this winter.
- Luis Hernandez (SS, Tigres de Aragua): 3-for-5, 1 2B, 1 RBI. No Indians hitter, not even the popular Jose Ramirez, is hotter right now in winter ball than Luis Hernandez. Hernandez has now gone 24-for-59 this winter in 16 games (.407 average). He is really only regarded as organizational depth, but it's hard to not be excited by what he has been able to do in his playing time this winter.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 0-for-3, 1 K. Unfortunately, Diaz could not build off his two-hit performance on Tuesday night and went hitless on Wednesday. Overall, Diaz has now gone 25-for-96 this winter.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 K. Ramirez did not provide the usual offensive fireworks that we're used to on Wednesday, but he still managed to record one hit. The young switch-hitter is now hitting .340 in 28 games this winter.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 0-for-4, 1 RBI. McDade has struggled somewhat at the plate this winter, but he managed to pick up his fifth RBI on Wednesday. Overall, McDade has now gone 11-for-45 in the DWL.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K. Unfortunately, there has not been much to like about Santana's stint in the DWL so far. The switch-hitter has now played in nine games and has recorded only five hits over that span. Nine games is a very small sample size, so you can't really buy into the numbers too much, but it would still be nice to see Santana heat up at the plate.
Steve can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.