Around the Farm: December 18, 2012
December 19, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Australian Baseball League was off on Tuesday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 1-for-4, 1 R. Carrera has gone 28-for-91 (.308) in 24 games this winter, and the left-handed hitting outfielder has been especially hot as of late. In his last five games, he's gone 8-for-19 with a home run and a double.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (SS, Leones del Caracas): 2-for-5, 1 2B. Cabrera appeared in his fifth game on Tuesday, and he proceeded to collect two hits, including his first extra-base hit of the winter season. Cabrera has really been tremendous in the five games as he's collected two hits in four of the contests. Overall, the switch-hitting shortstop has gone 8-for-23 with two RBI.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 1-for-4, 1 K. Diaz appeared in his 38th game of the winter season Tuesday and collected one hit. Unfortunately, he also recorded a strikeout, and the switch-hitting shortstop has now struck out 26 times this winter and drawn only five walks.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 0-for-5, 3 K. Santana seemed to be starting to find some rhythm at the plate, but unfortunately, Tuesday's performance was Santana's worst so far in 17 games. The switch-hitter has now gone 13-for-61 (.213) with four doubles, five RBI, 11 walks and 15 strikeouts. The walks are certainly there but so are the strikeouts.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-5, 1 R, 1 BB. Ramiez has definitely cooled down considerably at the plate, but he still managed to get one hit Tuesday and his average sits at .316 in 36 games. Over his last five games, Ramirez has gone 5-for-28, which is about a 180-degree difference from his performance during the rest of the season, so hopefully Ramirez is just stuck in a mini slump that he'll soon exit.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 0-for-2, 1 K. McDade has now gone hitless in two of his last three games played, but the switch-hitter has still had a respectable winter, going 20-for-71 in 22 games.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Joseph Colon (SP, Cangrejeros de Santurce): 5.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R/3 ER, 4 BB, 4 K. This was not one of Colon's better starts as he struggled with his control and allowed a lot of base runners. However, he still managed to limit the damage, got two ground ball double plays and allowed only three earned runs when all was said and done. Overall, the right-hander now has a 3.41 ERA in 29 innings of work.
- Matt Langwell (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): 1.1 IP. Four batters faced. Four outs. That was the story of Langwell's performance on Tuesday. The right-hander has been great all winter, and he now sports a 1.13 ERA in 16 innings of work.
- Giovanni Soto (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): 2 IP, 1 K. Soto put together two perfect innings on Tuesday, and the left-hander now has a 1.29 ERA in 14 innings this winter. It seems as if Soto continues to get better with every performance; he has not allowed an earned run since allowing two in his second appearance this winter. Since then, Soto has pitched 12 1/3 innings and yet to yield an earned run.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.