Around the Farm: August 9
August 10, 2010
Brett Brach-SP, Lake County: W, 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 9 K.
Brach is 3-1 over his last four starts, and all four starts have been impressive. Starting with a complete game shutout back on July 24, Brach has given up just 4 ER over his last 30 IP. He's struck out 21 and walked just two over that same timeframe. The big righty was selected in the 10th round in 2009 out of Monmouth, and has a solid four pitch mix. He works off of his low-90s fastball and sinker to try and get groundballs (45%) as well as more strikeouts than you would see from most groundball pitchers.
- T.J. House-SP, Kinston: W, 7 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, K, BB. Hasn't missed many bats in his last few starts, but hasn't given up many runs either. Just 3 ER over his last four starts, encompassing 26 IP.
- Cory Burns-RP, Kinston: S, IP, BB. Yawn. Another outing, another save for Burns, his league-leading 21st. He now has gone 9 straight appearances without giving up an earned run.
- Chun Chen-C, Kinston: 2-4, R, K. In addition to the two hits, Chen was 2-2 throwing out basestealers last night for the K-Tribe.
- Juan Diaz-SS, Kinston: 3-4, RBI, R, K. Acquired from Seattle in the Branyan trade, Diaz is hitting .230 with 10 RBI in 35 games since joining Kinston.
- Doug Pickens-DH, Kinston: 1-4, HR (6), 3 RBI, R. The one hit for Pickens was a big one, as it was the go-ahead HR in the 7th inning.
- Delvi Cid-OF, Lake County: 3-5, 2 R, SB. Cid now has 57 stolen bases on the season, and his average has been on the rise since May, hitting .286 since June 1.
- Casey Frawley-SS, Lake County: 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI, BB, 2 R. The 17th round pick out of Stetson has been solid, if unspectacular, in his first year in a full season league.
- Jason Smit-OF, Lake County: 2-4, HR (8), 3 RBI, R, K. The Aussie has 2 HR and 6 RBI in his last 5 games.
- Mitch Talbot-SP, Mahoning Valley: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 K, 1 BB. The rehabbing Talbot didn't exactly unleash the fury, but he wasn't bad either.
- Casey Gaynor-RP, Mahoning Valley: 5 IP, 2 H, 7 K, 2 BB. The UDFA out of Rutgers managed to miss some bats last night, picking up the win in relief of Talbot.
- Giovanny Urshela-3B, Mahoning Valley: 3-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R. Urshela is now working on an 8-game hitting streak that's seen him go 16-32 (.500) with 2 HR and 8 RBI. He's at .301/.335/.398 on the season
- Alejandro Villa-RP, DSL Indians: 3 IP, 2 H, 3 K. Villa has given up 1 ER in his last 23 1/3 IP, striking out 17.