Around the Farm: August 24
August 25, 2010
Zach McAllister-SP, Columbus: 6 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 5 K, BB.
McAllister retired the side in order in innings 3-6 yesterday, taking care of 13 batters in a row without allowing a baserunner. But before that, he gave up 5 ER on 4 hits in the 2nd to take the loss. His peripherals were good, as his WHIP was actually under 1, and was victimized by an error in the 5 run 2nd to add to the damage. McAllister was a top-10 guy in the Yankees system in 2008 between two A levels, and went 7-5 with a 2.23 ERA for Trenton in the Eastern League last year. He's just 22, and for a few months of Austin Kearns, I'd say he's worth the risk.
Rob Bryson-SP, Akron: 2 2/3 IP, K, BB.
No, Bryson isn't being moved to the rotation. He started the 1st game of yesterday's doubleheader though, and we saw a kinder, gentler Rob Bryson with just one K in 9 batters faced. Didn't allow a hit though, so he was still effective. After walking 4 and giving up an earned run without recording an out in his first outing for Akron, Bryson has been nearly untouchable. He's given up just 7 hits, walked 6 and struck out 12 in 11 1/3 innings of work since that first outing, and allowed just one earned run. His ERA is now 1.59 in AA and 2.62 overall on the season.
- Aaron Laffey-RP, Columbus: 1 1/3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER. Gave up as many hits as McAllister in just 1 1/3 innings of work.
- Wes Hodges-1B, Columbus: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R, 2 K. BABIP of 1.000 last night for Hodges. Hitting .289 overall in his last 10.
- Josh Rodriguez-SS, Columbus: 2-4, 2B, K. After a good start in AAA, Rodriguez has cooled down, hitting just .194 with 3 XBH in his last 10 games.
- Kelvin De La Cruz-SP, Akron: 5 IP, 4 H, ER, 6 K, 2 BB. He's back. DLC picked up his 5th win for Akron, and had his best start by far since August 5. When he misses bats, he's great (21 K in 22 IP in his past 4 wins). When he doesn't, he can get lit up.
- C.C. Lee-RP, Akron: 3 1/3 IP, 3 H, ER, 5 K, BB. Stop the presses! Lee has given up an earned run! Personally, I blame Daz for his messageboard antics (just kidding, buddy). Lee allowed a solo HR for his first ER since late June and was saddled with the loss in a game where the Aeros failed to score a run.
- Jason Kipnis-2B, Akron: 3-7, RBI, R. As expected, Kip was not going to go 0-fer the rest of the season.
- Lonnie Chisenhall-3B, Akron: 3-7, HR (16), 3 RBI, R, K. Chizz has been hot lately, throwing up a .429/.488/.743 line over his past 10 with 2 HR and 15 RBI.
- Tyler Holt-DH, Lake County: 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB, R, SB, K. Full stat sheet for the former Seminole, and has hit in his last 4 straight.