Around the Farm: August 22, 2014
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Francisco Lindor (Columbus, SS) - 4-5, 3 R - Lindor has the first four-hit night of his Triple-A career as he extends his hitting streak to three games with hits in 10 of his last 11. Lindor's bat is beginning to catch up with where it was in Akron earlier this season (.264 AVG and .352 SLG in C-Bus compared to .278 and .389 in Summit County), but his plate discipline still has a way to go (he had a 61:40 K:BB ratio, .352 OBP, and a .074 differential between his AVG and OBP with the RubberDucks, while he is only at 26:6, .295, and .03 as a Clipper). That said, Francisco's progress at the Triple-A level has been exciting and I fully expect to see him at Progressive Field sometime in 2015.
- Justin Sellers (Columbus, 2B) - 2-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 Sac Bunt - Sellers also eextends his hitting streak to three while having four productive plate appearances out of five.
- James Ramsey (Columbus, CF) - 1-4, 1 R, 12B, 2 RBI, 1 K, 1 Sac Fly - Ramsey continues to hit much better on the road as of late as he hits in his last four away games but only one hit in his last three home contests.
- Audy Ciriaco (Columbus, 1B) - 2-4, 2 2B, 1 RBI - Ciriaco has a big night in his first multi-hit effort in two and a half weeks.
- Toru Murata (Columbus, SP) - W (3-3), 5.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (earned), 4 BB, 2 K - This is the Toru Murata we don't see nearly enough of. The potential is there, the ability to pitch to that level consistently isn't, unfortunately.
- Shaun Marcum (Columbus, RP) - H (1), 2,1 IP, perfect, 1 K - Marcum dominates the Bats' (Reds) bats and keeps them from staging a comeback.
- Alex Lavisky (Akron, C) - 3-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K - The only noteworthy performance of a rough offensive night for the RubberDucks.
- Nick Maronde (Akron, SP) - L (0-1), 4 IP, 10 H, 7 R (all earned), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR allowed - The Nick Maronde as a starter project hits a significant speed bump on Friday night, as you might expect when a player makes a three-level jump.
- Jordan Cooper (Akron, RP) - 2 IP, 5 H, 5 R (all earned), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR allowed - Given his recent solid performance, I am willing to write this off as a bad night.
- Yandy Diaz (Carolina, 3B) - 3-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI - Diaz has his first multi-hit night in almost two weeks to snap a nine-game 5-for-25 (.200) stretch.
- Torsten Boss (Carolina, RF) - 2-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K - Torsten makes it back-to-back multi-RBI nighhs for the third time this season.
- James Roberts (Carolina, 2B) - 2-4, 1 2B, 3 RBI - Roberts has his second multi-hit game in his last four after not having one since July 30 at Salem (Red Sox).
- Mike Clevinger (Carolina, SP) - ND, 2.2 IP, 4 H,3 R (all earned), 3 BB, 1 HBP - Clevinger picks up the no decision thanks to massive run support.
- Cole Sulser (Carolina, RP) - 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (all earned), 1 BB, 3 K - See above.
- Josh Martin (Carolina, RP) - W (5-6), 2 IP, 2 BB, 2 K - Martin comes in and shuts down the Winston-Salem (White Sox) lineup for a much-deserved relief win.
- Ivan Castillo (Lake County, SS) - 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B - Castillo makes it an eight-game hitting streak and back-to-back multi-hit games.
- Claudio Bautista (Lake County, 2B) - 1-2, 1 R, 2 BB - While Bautista has shown himself capable of nights like this one, the consistency just isn't there, especially as of late (he is batting .188 in his 10 most recent ballgames).
- Paul Hendrix (Lake County, DH) - 1-3, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 K, 1 Sac Fly - Hendrix's RBI continue to come in bunches as his six most recent RBI have come in multi-RBI games.
- Nellie Rodriguez (Lake County, 1B) - 2-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI - Nellie-Rod continues to rake as he is batting .306 with nine RBI in his last 10 games.
- Dorssys Paulino (Lake County, LF) - 2-4, 1 3B, 2 RBI - Dorssys continues to be unstoppable as he is now hitting .368 with 5 RBI in his last 10.
- Brian Ruiz (Lake County, RF) - 2-4, 2 R, 1 2B - Ruiz has been feast or famine with 19 of his last 22 games of either the multi-hit or no-hit variety.
- Mitch Brown (Lake County, SP) - W (7-8), 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R (earned), 8 K, 1 HR allowed - Pretty much what we've come to expect of Mitch Brown in the last month or so. When he left the game, Captains fans must have been thinking this game was goung to be a blowout...
- Luis DeJesus (Lake County, RP) - 1.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (all earned), 2 K, 1 HR allowed - ...then this outing happened...
- Wander Beras (Lake County, RP) - 1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (all earned), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 HBP - ...and this one.
- Trevor Frank (Lake County, CP) - S (17), 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K, 1 WP - Trevor gets his 17th save of the year with a rare one-out save.
- Ordomar Valdez (Mahoning Valley, 3B) - 2-5, 1 RBI, 2 SB - Valdez's hitting streak reaches five as he drives in the eventual game-winning run in the top of the ninth inning.
- Martin Cervenka (Mahoning Valley, C) - 2-4, 1 2B, 1 K - Cervenka is another player who has big nights like this one, but does little at the plate in between them.
- Yonathan Mendoza (Mahoning Valley, DH) - 2-4, 2 R, 1 K, 2 SB - Mendoza makes it 10 games out of his last 11 with at least one hit and two of his last four with multiple hits.
- Sean Brady (Mahoning Valley, SP) - ND, 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R (earned), 2 BB, 3 K - Brady continues to post respectable earned run numbers (2.73 ERA on the season and 2.55 in his last ten games) while allowing entirely too many men on base (1.29 WHIP on the season and 1.15 in his last ten).
- Ramon Rodriguez (Mahoning Valley, RP) - W (2-0), 1 H, 3 K - Ram-Rod extends his streak of not allowing an earned run to 6.2 IP in five appearances.
- Luke Eubank (Mahoning Valley, CP) - S (2), 1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB (intentional), 1 K - Eubank gets the save, but not without some suspense (this is the Indians organization, after all)..
- Yu-Cheng Chang (Arizona League, SS) - 2-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E - Chang continues to rake as he is .389 with 2 HR and 5 RBI in his last 10 games.
- Bobby Bradley (Arizona League, 1B) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K - Bradley's last ten ballgames are even more impressive as he is hitting .395 with three HR and a whopping 15 RBI!
- Li-Jen Chu (Arizona League, DH) - 3-4, 1 R - As impressive as those two last ten stat lines are, Chu takes it to a new level, posting a .412 BA with seven RBI in his most recent 10 games appeared in.
- Gian Paul Gonzalez (Arizona League, C) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 E - On the opposite end of the performance spectrum, the other big night at the plate for the A-Tribe came from a player batting .167, albeit with five RBI, in his last 10 games, which also represent the totality of his professional career.
- Willi Castro (Arizona League, 2B) - 3-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 Sac Bunt, 1 SB - Castro returns us to the land of stellar recent performance for the last of our offensive profiles. He is batting .382 with four RBI and six SB in his last 10 contests appeared in.
- Leandro Linares (Arizona League, SP) - ND, 3 IP, 5 H, 3 R (all earned), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP - Linares' first season stateside continues to be a struggle.
- Johan Puello (Arizona League, RP) - W (2-1), 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K - Puello's first season in the USA, on the other hand, continues to be a stellar one.
- Micah Miniard (Ariznan League, RP) - H (1), 2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K - While Miniard's season stats may not look all that impressive, that's due to having one bad outing (earlier this month against the Angels in Tempe) out of the five he has pitched thus far in the pros.
- Jared Robinson (Arizona League, RP) - H (2), 1 IP, perfect - The early returns on the 11th round pick continue to be positive.
- Ping-Hsueh Chen (Arizona League, RP) - 1 IP, 2 K, 1 HBP - The Taiwanese rookie (at least to North American ball) remains unscored upon in his most recent six outings (7.0 IP).