Around the Farm: August 17
August 18, 2010
Note, both Lake County and Mahoning Valley had scheduled off days yesterday and Arizona's game was suspended.
Vinnie Pestano - RHP, Columbus: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K.
Pestano is often overlooked as a relief prospect because of a lot of other big names in the upper levels of the system who throw harder, have better stuff, or a higher prospect pedigree. But, as Frank Herrmann has already shown, sometimes all of that means nothing and results are all that matters. To date, the results are impressive for the VinMan as in 37 games at Columbus he has 11 saves and a 1.79 ERA and .211 BAA. In 40.1 innings he also has an impressive 12 walk to 54 strikeout ratio. Really, you could not ask for any better performance, and the Indians would agree. He is certainly a candidate to be a September callup, and even if not all signs point to him being added at least to the 40-man roster this offseason.
Austin Adams - SP, Kinston: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 1 HR, 4 BB, 4 K.
White and Gardner get all the attention from the 2009 Draft, and deservedly so with the year both are having, but Adams has had just as great of a season. The difference is Gardner/White project as starters, while Adams projects as a reliever and is being developed as one. In any case, he now sports a very nice 2.56 ERA, .211 BAA, and 32-97 walk-to-strikeout ratio in 98.1 combined innings as Lake County and Kinston.
- Carlos Carrasco - SP, Columbus: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 6 K. Another very good outing, and he'll be a September callup in time to spell an overworked young starting staff in Cleveland.
- Josh Rodriguez - SS, Columbus: 0-for-3, BB, SB. J-Rod is really scuffling right now, his first cold streak really all season as in his last ten games he is hitting .079/.222/.184....ouch.
- Ezequiel Carrera - OF, Columbus: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI. Another good night from the speedy outfielder, and may see time in Cleveland as a September callup because of his versatility and already being on the 40-man roster.
- Matt Packer - SP, Akron: 5.0 IP, 9 H, 9 R/ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 3 HR. His worst start by far, and hopefully one he has already erased from the data banks. Yowsers.
- Jerad Head - DH, Akron: 2-for-4, R. Hitting .302/.359/.560 in 69 games between Akron and Columbus. Interesting utility option a la Chris Gimenez down the road?
- Beau Mills - 1B, Akron: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, K. Aside from the 3-run knock, still struggling through a nightmare of a season hitting just .239/.301/.378. Showing some signs of life in the second half, but still not enough.
- Cory Burns - RP, Kinston: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K. He struck out the side for the second straight night and earned his 24th Carolina League save (36th save overall).
- Juan Diaz - SS, Kinston: 2-for-5, 3 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB, 3 K, 2B. We have a power sighting!! His first home run with the Indians...it just took 43 games.
- Manuel Carmona - SP, DSL Indians: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 6 K. No idea if he is related to Fausto, but hot damn, he has been pitching like him. Has a 2.57 ERA, .158 BAA, and 9.0 K/9 this year.