Around the Farm: April 20
April 21, 2011
Alex White - SP, Columbus: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 7 K.
Coming into the season, high expectations were placed upon former first round pick, Alex White. While it's early, to this point, he hasn't disappointed many and he's been living up to the expectations. In his three starts this season, he's pitched a combined 18 innings, allowing 9 hits, while surrendering 3 walks and striking out 20. Hitters are hitting .132 off him and he possesses a 2.00 ERA. I'm truly amazed at his walk-to-strike out ratio. White is proving that he could be a valuable front of the rotation/middle of the rotation starter for the Indians in the near future.
- Cord Phelps - SS, Columbus: 2-4, BB, K. Phelps has continued his sweet stroke at the plate, leaving tough decisions to be made about his future.
- Chad Huffman - RF, Columbus: 2-4, R, HR, RBI, BB, K. Despite his early season struggles at the plate (.195 average), Huffman had a solid game.
- Jerad Head - LF, Columbus: 3-5, RBI. Head has also been hitting the ball well out of the gate, sporting a .389 average.
- Luke Carlin - C, Columbus: 3-4, R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI. To me, I would have went with Carlin as the backup catcher in Cleveland to start Opening Day. Pretty sure he's making a case for that.
- Zach Putnam - RP, Columbus: IP, H, K. By the end of the season, I'd expect to see Putnam in the Tribe bullpen.
- Tim Fedroff - LF, Akron: 2-4, BB, K. Many casual fans may overlook Fedroff, but he's impressed me ever since I watched him play ay Mahoning Valley. He may not be a future all-star, but he's consistent.
- Austin Adams - SP, Akron: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER (0 R), 2 BB, 7 K. A rather dominant performance turned in by Adams, who has started the season off well.
- Paolo Espino - RP, Akron: 1.1 IP, K. Solid outing by Espino, who is a consistent utility pitcher that the Indians can always rely on.
- Doug Pickens - C, Kinston: 3-4, RBI. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Pickens has been in our farm system forever. He provides a nice veteran presence to the clubhouse.
- Marty Popham - SP, Kinston: 4 IP, 3 K. A short outing for Popham, but he didn't allow any hits or walks. He kept his team in the ball game.
- Giovanny Urshela - 3B, Lake County: 1-5, R, HR, 5 RBI, 3 K. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Urshela is rising up the prospect rankings real quick and it's not difficult to figure out why.
- Jason Smit - RF, Lake County: 1-6, K. Smit has gotten off to a hot start and didn't fair too well in the double header.
- Carlos Moncrief - CF, Lake County: 3-5, 3 R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB, K. If I had a choice, Moncrief would have easily been player of the game for the Captains in game one.
- Kyle Blair - SP, Lake County: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER/R, 4 K, HR. Clutch outing by a rookie pitcher.