2010 Depth Chart
December 6, 2009
Last Updated: January 5, 2010
Here is the first edition of the 2010 Depth Chart, though this listing will surely change some throughout the rest of the offseason. As always, figuring out the rosters at the big league, Triple-A and Double-A level are not too difficult. That said, the most difficult task is figuring out the rosters for the two Single-A affiliates, especially the makeup of the bullpens and benches at both those levels.
Some quick notes on the depth chart:
- The maximum active roster size at Cleveland, Kinston and Lake County is 25 players whereas at Columbus and Akron it is just 24 players.
- There will be one heck of a camp battle in spring training for bullpen spots at Lake County and Kinston. There are going to be up to a dozen solid arms who could end up starting the year in extended spring training or that are released.
- The Indians have a lot of depth in the Triple-A rotation, and with left-hander Aaron Laffey a possibility to open in the rotation there you can see why the Indians sort of decided to roll the dice with not rostering several of their pitchers this offseason.. There is a lot of depth in Cleveland and Columbus, now they just need a couple of the young guys to step up in 2010.
- All of a sudden second base and third base are two of the strongest positions in the system. With Hodges-Chisenhall-Bellows-Brito at the top four levels of the system at third base, they have four very good prospects who all likely rank in their Top 25-30. It is just as good at second base with Donald-Phelps-Kipnis-Frawley at the top four levels of the system at second base.
- After Carlos Santana at catcher, there is not much coming anytime soon as far as impact catchers. Some nice depth or potential major league backups, yes, but you can see how it is setup where Santana-Marson are the catching duo in Cleveland for a long time.
- The Indians have some nice center field depth, which is important considering Sizemore is a free agent in three years (yes, we are talking about that already).
- The Indians have a lot of good, solid starters. In fact, it is really hard to figure out the staff in some cases because of this depth. I took an educated guess that Graham and Price will all be in the bullpen to start the season next year. Also, for now I am predicting that Putnam remains in the bullpen.
- Judy and Price are two closers expected to be at the two highest minor league levels in Columbus and Akron. They may be the two best relievers in the system, and certainly in the Top 5.
- Guys listed as bubble/rehab guys are listed in the column for the team they likely will be playing for a spot on this spring. Some interesting players will certainly be left off the active list when the season starts.
|C||Lou Marson||Carlos Santana||Matt McBride||Adam Abraham||Roberto Perez|
|1B||Matt LaPorta*||Shelley Duncan||Beau Mills||Nate Recknagel||Ben Carlson|
|2B||Luis Valbuena||Jason Donald||Cord Phelps||Jason Kipnis||Casey Frawley|
|SS||Asdrubal Cabrera||Josh Rodriguez||Carlos Rivero||Ron Rivas||Argenis Martinez|
|3B||Jhonny Peralta||Wes Hodges||Lonnie Chisenhall||Kyle Bellows||Jesus Brito|
|LF||Michael Brantley||Jordan Brown||Nick Weglarz||Donnie Webb||Bo Greenwell|
|CF||Grady Sizemore||Jose Constanza||Tim Fedroff||Jordan Henry||Delvi Cid|
|RF||Shin-Soo Choo||Austin Kearns||John Drennen||Matt Brown||Abner Abreu*|
|C||Wyatt Toregas||Damaso Espino||Alex Castillo||Doug Pickens||Greg Folgia|
|INF||Travis Hafner (DH)||Niuman Romero||Cristo Arnal||Karexon Sanchez||Jose Camargo|
|INF||Andy Marte||Jerad Head||Adam Davis||Mark Thompson||Jeremie Tice|
|OF||Trevor Crowe||Stephen Head||Lucas Montero||Adam White||Jason Smit|
|SP||Jake Westbrook*||Carlos Carrasco||Eric Berger||Alex White||Jason Knapp*|
|SP||Justin Masterson||Hector Rondon||Scott Barnes||Alexander Perez||Trey Haley|
|SP||Fausto Carmona||Scott Lewis*||Paolo Espino||T.J. House||Joe Gardner|
|SP||David Huff||Jeanmar Gomez||Kelvin De La Cruz||Danny Salazar||Marty Popham|
|SP||Aaron Laffey||Yohan Pino||Ryan Morris*||Nick Hagadone||Clayton Cook|
|MR||Mitch Talbot||Jess Todd||Dallas Cawiezell||Matt Langwell||Francisco Jimenez|
|MR||Joe Smith||Frank Herrmann||Connor Graham||Mike McGuire||Preston Guilmet|
|MR||Jensen Lewis||Ryan Edell||Zach Putnam||Santo Frias||Vidal Nuno|
|MR||Rafael Perez||Steven Wright||Neil Wagner||Chris Jones||Austin Adams|
|MR||Chris Perez||Josh Tomlin||Carlton Smith||Bryce Stowell||Tyler Sturdevant|
|MR||Tony Sipp||Erik Stiller||Chen Lee||TJ McFarland||Francisco Valera|
|MR||Rob Bryson||Jeremy Johnson|
|CL||Kerry Wood||Josh Judy||Bryan Price||Steve Smith||Cory Burns|
|Bubble Guys or Rehab (*)|
|Anthony Reyes*||Adam Miller*||Vinnie Pestano*||Joseph Mahalic*||Alexander Morales|
|Brian Buscher||Mike Gosling||Kyle Landis||Mike Pontius*||Antwonie Hubbard|
|Jason Grilli||Brian Horwitz||Garrison Campfield||Eddie Burns*||Brett Brach|
|Jeremy Sowers||Armando Camacarco||Jerad Goedert||Heath Taylor*||Carlos Moncrief|
|Hector Ambriz||Jonathan Holt||Travis Turek||Chris Kersten|
|Luis Rodriguez||Brian Grening||Chun Chen|
|Saul Rivera||Chris Nash||Dale Dickerson|
|David Roberts||Daniel DeGeorge|
|John Allman||Daniel Jimenez|
|Ryan Miller||Darling Read|
|Matthew Willard||Dwight Childs|
|Richard Martinez||Franklin Soto|
|Roman Pena||Giovanny Urshela|
|Ryan Blair||Gregorio Rosario|
|Kyle C. Smith|